Thursday, January 10, 2008

SBQ: Favorite Finishes

1/9/2008: What was your favorite finish of 2007?

It was hard to pick just one, but I'm going to go with a housewarming gift I made for very dear friends of ours who just bought their first place. After years in the military (and generic apartments), they were very glad to settle down into their own home.


It's the Bless Our Home Sampler by Design Connection. (Stitched over 2 on 32 ct. linen with recommended DMC threads). I had a hard time selecting something because I didn't really know how they were going to decorate their home (they had no idea either) so I wanted to pick something a little traditional to suit their personalities. As it turns out, they loved it and it looks great on display.

I had a great time stitching it as well. Sometimes my attention span is a little short, so I enjoy stithcing samplers because the pattern changes up and it seems like as soon as I get bored with one section, I'm on to the next. This was also the first time I used beads, and it won't be the last. The design called for Mill Hill beads, but I substitued copper color Blue Moon seed beads from Michael's.

If you look, I did make one change to the pattern. I know it's traditional, but I don't like the letter Q represented with the backwards P, so I changed it to the O and put a little tail on it. Much better! And you may be wondering why it says 1995 when they bought the home just recently. Well, I went back and forth quite a bit on what date to put on it (and on another housewarming gift). I originally had 2006 stitched on there (they bought the house in December), but I changed my mind and stitched in 1995 - the year they were married - instead. I came to that decision while stitching the other piece. I think the year a couple gets married is the year they are "established". For the second piece, I modified the pattern to include the location and the month and year they purchased the house (in small letters under the house) but I had already finished stitching this piece and couldn't change it. So I wrote on the back of the frame. I always write a little note on the back of the frame, wishing the recipient well and noting the occasion for the gift because I think it's pretty cool when you turn over a picture frame and see a handwritten note or signature or date on the back. It's a little secret that adds to the sentimental value of the piece.

And as usual, my DH framed it up for me, using a frame and mat board from http://www.pictureframes.com/. If you haven't checked them out yet, I highly recommend them!

Whew! I bet you didn't expect such a long winded answer to THAT question, did you? :-)

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Jennifer that is a beautiful sampler and your DH did a great framing job! Just lovely all around.

Julie said...

A lovely gift, well done to you and your DH.

I think i would have a hard job choosing just one project from last year as a favourite

Pumpkin said...

What a beautiful and meaningful gift Jennifer :o)

Anna van Schurman said...

Thanks for the framing tip!

Carla said...

It's a beautiful sampler and your husban did a great job with the framing!

Dawn said...

It's beautiful!! Wonderful job on the framing, too:)

Jenna said...

What a beautiful tribute for their first real home! You did an outstanding job.

Carolien said...

What a lovely sampler you have made!

Greetings, Carolien

tkdchick said...

Beautiful piece! Definately something to be proud of!