Monday, January 7, 2008

My first finishes for 2008

I'm finally getting around to unloading the camera from Christmas (after a phone call from my MIL last night asking me if I had downloaded the family Christmas photo yet). And I'm finally getting around to doing other things, like finishing up things that have been sitting around for a while. Like birth records I stitched for my nieces. (don't look at the dates). They're from The New Cross Stitch Sampler Book by Helen Phillips. I did a little of my own modifications with color changes and doing a more freeform border.




It's sad, because I had less than 20 stitches to go on Sierra's and I had to finish the border on Kenna's. I don't know why they were sitting around for so long - I finished them in 30 minutes on Saturday night. Usually, Kenna's favorite color is purple and I would have stitched hers in the shades of purple, but I stitched them by birthstone color, chosing the pink for Kenna (October) and the purple for her sister (June). I think they came out really cute and I have to mat and frame them up before I send them out. I was thinking matching pink and purple mats for each one, set in a white frame

I'm also FINALLY getting around to posting a progress picture for Kim on Princess and The Pea. This is what I stitched over New Years.


And this is what I stitched this weekend during the football playoffs. Once I got going, it stitched up REALLY quick.

I am loving the overdyed threads for the green (CC's Weeping Willow) and the pinks (CC's Cherry Tomato, Carrie Berry, and Ripe Melon), but I am not convinced of the necessity of using an overdyed for the dog (Toasted Marshmallow) or the brown (Little House Brown). In fact, I don't think I care much for the varigated brown in this pattern at all, but I'm not restitching it. If I did, I'd use a DMC brown instead.

20 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh the Princess and the P!! I have this pattern waiting for me...my dog, Peyton, looks just like that little white dog! Every time I see it I go "AWW!!"

Anyway..thanks for your comment at my blog! The ladybug is by Bent Creek, and is called "Jig of the Ladybug!"

Dani said...

The birth samplers look really good. Can't wait to see the mats that you choose to put with them. Great work on the Princess and the Pea ... I love stitching while watching football.

Kim said...

Thanks for posting the pics :-) It was worth the wait, your P+tP is looking awesome! It looks very different than mine. You're way ahead of me, btw, but I'm gonna stitch on mine tonight and *try* to catch up. mwah ha ha.

Vonna said...

CC's are my favorite threads to stitch with, but I certainly agree about the whites comments...I agree...I think good 'ol DMC is just as good :)
Great Progress on PaP!!
I love the samplers...so pretty and delicate :)

tkdchick said...

Your birth samplers are just lovely!

Princess and the P is cute!

Sharon said...

Both finishes are lovely! I can imagine them framed. Congrats on the finishes. I like the princess and the pea wip-very nice!

Janet said...

I love it all. The birth samplers are perfect - fresh and pretty and timeless. Lucky girls!!

Princess and the Pea is looking gorgeous, you'll be finished in no time.

Sally said...

The birth samplers are gorgeous and your progress on Princess and the Pea is lovely. Love the colours.

Wendy said...

Wonderful birth samplers and I'm glad you finished them up. And the Princess and the Pea is looking great :-D

Barbara said...

Wow, that's some fast progress on P & the P!! Looking great!!

Teresa said...

I really love the birth samplers. That is the cutest dog!!

Take care

Pumpkin said...

Wow! You're going to have three new finishes for 2008 in no time! LOL!

The birth samplers are adorable and I like your ideas about how you're going to frame them.

Princess is adorable and I can't believe how much you stitched in one day!

Carla said...

The birth records you made for your nieces are beautiful...they'll look great on their rooms!
You are almost done on P&P!!! I think your next update will see a pic of it finished! Are you going to frame it??

Ruth said...

Ooo, I love them all! You know I wasn't swayed by the Princess pattern until I saw your progress picture. Hmmmmmmm

Emily said...

So cute and sweet! :)
The birth samplers are really pretty! Great stitching.

Cheryl said...

The birth samplers are lovely. Great gifts for them to treasure.
I love P&P, its such a cute design, you've made great progress

Julie said...

The birth samplers are superb and the P&theP is so colourful

Carolien said...

Hello Jennifer,

I visited your blog a few days ago, but couldn't react because my keyboard didn't work properly. I have a new one now! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment.
I love your princess and the p and will have a further look at your blog soon!

Bye, Carolien

Jenna said...

Great finishes, all. You've been stitching up a storm already this year! :)

BeckySC said...

Oh, how adorable is Princess and the Pea???
And you birth sampler looks lovely as well :)
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :)