Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ornament Frenzy

I've been stitching on some ornaments, partially to keep up with the 2 ornament blogs I'm on, and partially because I have a very short attention span. Ornaments are good for this because by the time I get bored with them, I'm almost finished. I've finished the stitching on a few, now I have to get to the finishing finishing.

For my Bride's Tree SAL, I'm trying to work on 2 sets of ornaments, one for me, one for my best friend and her husband. I finished stitching the one for my friend, and now I have to get a piece of fabric to put behind the stitching because the weave is kind of loose and I don't want any batting showing through. I stitched a freebie pattern, La petite maison de campagne de décembre, and changed the Decembre to the family name (blurred for privacy)


I stitched it over one on 25 ct. linen using mostly the recommended DMC threads. I did use up some Toasted Marshmallow I had left from another project for the snow, and I added a little gold star on top of the tree using metallic braid.

I'm also making a little progress on my own ornament, the 3-D Lavender house.
As you may or may not know, my DH and I are HUGE Dallas Cowboys fans, and every year, we try to add another Cowboys ornament to our growing collection. I saw this one as a design on etsy.com and thought, "Hey, I could make that", so I made up a pattern and customized it for one of my DH's favorite players, Roger Staubach. It's not finished yet - I'm stitching on plastic canvas which is sheer torture to my fingers, so I only do a little each night.


And in case you were wondering, DMC 823 perfectly matches my blue Dallas Cowboys jersey. 415 is a pretty good approximation for the silver on the jersey as well. I had so much fun designing the Cowboys one, I made one for most of the rest of the teams (I still have a tiny grudge about the Patriots. LOL) If you want one, let me know and I will send a pattern to you.

I've also been working on some Princess ornaments, based on a free pattern I found on Cyberstitchers. My 5 year old niece is very into princesses, and ever since she heard my DH refer to me as "Princess", she calls me Princess Aunt Jenn. We also have a cousin who is a "Princess" herself, so I thought it would be fun for all three of us to have our own Princess ornaments! Here are 2 so far.

The pattern calls for small stitched stars, but I substituted some sequins and seed beads instead for the one on top. I might change it up a little for the second one, I'm not sure yet.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, Jennifer, your fingers must be FLYING!!! Great projects, all of them!

Courtney said...

Can I have your freebie!?? rubberkeyhole@gmail.com

It's so cute!

Kim said...

Oh so that's why you knew the #s offhand for me. Thanks again!
Your ornaments look great!! I can't wait to see the cottage finished & all 3D

Pumpkin said...

You have been busy girl! I love those house freebies and you did a wonderful job with personalizing yours :o)

I'm curious to see more of your house ornament because I don't remember this pattern. The SAL for that is so interesting. I just wish I had more time or hands ;o)

I agree, the plastic canvas is hard on the hands. It's burying the threads that hurts mine :o(

LOL! Three princesses! Oh boy! What about little stars or bigger colored beads?

Sally said...

I love both your bride's tree ornaments and the princess ones are so cute!

Dianne said...

You've been busy. Love the Princess ones.
I so need to catch up on the ornaments. I just finished stitching a gift on the worst fabric-that was torture too.

Meari said...

Your ornies look great, Jennifer.

Sandy said...

Looks like you've been very busy! Everything looks great. I'm going to get out my official Kurt Warner jersey to match up the colors for the ones you sent me. Thank you again!

Lynn said...

Wow, your needles must be smoking!
All the ornaments look great. I love the one you did for your friends. I have some of those same freebies but haven't stitched any yet.

Julie said...

Wonderful stitching, you have been busy

Sharon said...

Great ornament finishes Jennifer! The princess is really cute.

stitcherw said...

My you've been busy on the ornaments. The December house looks lovely. I haven't stitched any of the houses she had in her series, but I did print them all off they were so cute. Lavender House is looking very pretty too, love the colors.

Good luck finishing the jersey. The plastic canvas makes for an easy finish, but it is a bear to stitch on. Finally, the Princess ornaments are a fun idea, very cute.
Sue

Emily said...

You've been busy! Lovely ornaments. :)

Carolien said...

I love your ornaments and had to laugh very much about your story of the sunglasses. I have the same problem! Only buy very cheap ones now. I always wear them in the car while driving and even in the car I loose them ...

Greetings! Carolien

Juanita - aka flosslady said...

Great job on the ornaments! I like your sequin and bead substitution for the first "Princess" ornament. Just seems to suit the design perfectly.