Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's SBQ Time!

1/23/2008: Have you had a happy dance yet this year? If so, tell us about it! (Or just point to the entry that mentions it.) If not, when do you predict it will be?

Why yes, yes I have. Several, in fact. Nothing "finished finished" but I have finished stitching on my niece's birth records (never mind that one is 4.5 and the other is almost 2). I've finished stitching on a few ornaments as well. Oh! And I finished LHN's Princess and the Pea. Yay me!

And now for some oldies but goodies...

5/16/2007: If you could only stitch one more piece what would it be and why? (Submitted by Juls)

The very thought of this question is stressing me out. One more piece? Are you crazy? I don't think I could narrow it down to just one. Seriously. I love the creativity, the process, the materials involved. Maybe it's a cop out, but I'm choosing not to answer this question.


5/10/2007: How do you choose a project for an exchange? Do you pick solely on what you know of the taste of the recipient or are there other reasons you pick the piece you do? (Submitted by Ish)

I haven't done any exchanges as of yet, but I have done quite a few pieces for gifts and I think I would approach an exchange the same way. One of the things I like best about needlework is the opportunity to personalize a piece for the recipient. Whether it's changing colors, adding initials or names, or selecting a theme that most closely matches their likes, I always try to bring something of the recipient into the piece. I find that it makes the gift far more meaningful and special, and really demonstrates the time and care that went into making it. (Which is why I don't stitch for people who won't appreciate it)

For someone I didn't know, I'd read their blog carefully, definitely keeping an eye out for their wishlist (something I think all bloggers should maintain if they're going to be participating in exchanges). I'd try to pick something that matches their tastes so they would enjoy the piece. I'd hate to give someone something and put them in a position of saying they liked it when it's really not their thing at all.


5/2/2007: How many WIPs do you have? How many UFOs do you have? When does a WIP become a UFO? (Submitted by Kathryn)

Hmmmm, let's see. There's at least 3 that I've started, but got sick of stitching on and put them away for a while: Celtic Welcome Friends, Pineapple Welcome by Amaryllis Artworks, and a Dimensions kit. They're in the UFO bin because I haven't touched them in weeks (months) and they're not in active stitching.

Then I have a few pieces in my active stitching box, mostly ornaments that I've been working on. Probably about 5 or 6 at any one time. I also have a few projects completely kitted up and ready to go, but I haven't started stitching on them.

For me, a WIP becomes a UFO when it moves into a storage box instead of my active stitching box. Anything in my active box may be picked up to be stitched on at any time, so I consider them WIPs.

0 comments: