Thursday, July 3, 2008

Teaching and reading

Well, we're all moved in, mostly unpacked and back from vacation. I don't know if it was a blessing or a curse to go away in the middle of settling into a new house, though! I did get a little stitching done down the shore on Home By the Sea, and I will have to take a picture of my progress later. I've been trying to get back into the routine of stitching at night, and so far, things are going well.

In other stitching news, I started teaching my nearly six year old niece how to stitch. She absolutely adored the movie Finding Nemo, so I picked up this little piece for her to start teaching. I probably should have paid more attention to the age range (8+) rather than the content, but I tried to make it as fun as possible for her. She's a smart little cookie, so I didn't think it would be too difficult, and I made sure to explain that it was going to take some time to finish.

She got the hang of threading the needle VERY quickly, much quicker than I ever did when I started learning, and she was surprisingly patient with the stitching. She had a hard time bringing the needle through from the back of the fabric, but she let me guide the needle for her, and it worked out well. She was good for almost an hour before she started getting bored with it, which was much longer than I expected. We worked on it here and there throughout the week, a little at a time, but I ended up finishing it for her at the end of the week. She was just thrilled with her Nemo, and very proud of the work she did.

I think I'm pretty lucky that my niece is so patient - there's a lot of 5 year olds that aren't so willing to sit still. It also helps that I'm her favorite aunt (she's said so herself to her mom). :-) I think next time, though, I'm going to teach her what I started out doing - stamped cross stitch. That might be easier for her to get the hang of, and this is something I'd really like to be able to share with her, especially since she seems so interested in it. I started teaching her because she'd always be hanging over my shoulder wanting to know what I was doing and wanting to help whenever I worked on my own projects. I'm hoping the stamped stuff will go over well with her.

And on a non-stitching note, Carolien has recieved the "advance copy" of The Hard Way. Imagine my surprise when it went all the way to the Netherlands in about a week! Julie had several extra copies of her book that she gave to friends and family members with the stipulation that they had to be passed on. You can read more about it here. Once Carolien is done reading, she's going to pass the book on to the next reader, so if you'd like a chance to get in on her drawing, be sure to leave a comment on her blog.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I don't know of too many 5 yrs olds who will sit stilll for that long! Good for you! I look forward someday to teaching my granddaughters how to cross stitch. I'll have to wait a while yet though.
Glad to hear you're getting a bit more settled in.

Pumpkin said...

I have no idea how you've done it girl but glad to hear you're settling in :o)

That's wonderful that you have a niece that you can teach. Don't give up hope, she's only five! LOL! I'm hoping for a niece down the line. I don't think my nephews would appreciate all this stitching ;o)

Carolien said...

Hello Jennifer,

That was a nice story about teaching your niece how to stitch ...
I am glad you're settling in more and more. Good luck with the rest!

Greetings, Carolien

Meari said...

That's great you are teaching her to stitch. I bought that same kit for my niece. She was 13, and I don't think she ever finished it. LOL (Too boring, she says)

Dianne said...

You are sweet to help your niece learn stitching. How about the 11 count aida and an easier design like an apple?
I did the Nemo-it wasn't that easy and I did him twice-on a bookmark for my niece too. I changed it up a big-the eyes bothered me and I added clear beads for bubbles too.