Friday, July 11, 2008

Yay! It's FRIDAY!!!

Boy, am I behind!! I have three Friday's Feasts to catch up on, as well as several SBQs. Not to mention I owe some actual stitching pictures on this, a stitching blog. I just haven't been able to get motivated to get the camera out and take some. I'm in the midst of a love-hate relationship with the camera and photography in general. Our camera seems to have an internal spot on the lens, leaving a dark shadow on our photos. Trouble is, it comes and goes; some pictures have it, others don't. I'm guessing it's probably time to get the camera cleaned, but it's been so far down on the priority list lately that I haven't made time to find out where to take it and actually get it done. Which means that I am spending quite a bit of time (and working up a good eye strain) digitally touching up some of our photos.

Which is another story in and of itself. I try to be very organized with our photos. We have an external drive, and every year, I set up a main folder for the year (2006, 2007, etc.) As we take pictures, I set up numbered subfolders to keep track of date and activity, and number them to keep them in order. Every six months or so, I burn the photos to CD, and once a year, I delete everything that has been burned onto CD from the hard drive. (After I make a second copy, of course) I'm a stickler for photos looking good, which means I do some retouching and fix all the red eye before I burn or upload photos. (My MIL thinks we have the most wonderful camera since she always looks so nice in our pictures!) With everything going on over the last couple months, the last thing I wanted to do was sift through all these pictures, so I just kept dumping things into folders. Now I have to go back and fix them little by little, removing that annoying spot.

Oh, and did I mention that my DH is quite fond of taking photos in TIFF format, which is nice because it gives me a good file to work with for touching up, but a pain in the backside because the file size is HUGE and takes a while to load. AND I have to convert them to jpegs before I can upload them. Yes, I do have quite a bit of work in front of me, since I haven't done anything more than take photos and offload the memory card into appropriate folders since last July. So there's a couple folders filled with pictures to label and touch up as needed, including almost 800 pictures from our vacation to Massachusetts last fall, and all the holidays since. Whew! You can see why I've been avoiding the camera.

In stitching news, I swear I have been making progress on Home By The Sea. My ornament projects, however, have really fallen by the way side. I can't even remember when the last time I stitched on an ornament was, and I feel terrible because one of the Bride's Tree sets I started on was for DH's cousin's wedding, which happens to be in about 2 weeks. I have exactly ONE ornament completed and "ornamentified", 2-3 more are stitched, and the rest of them are merely printed out charts. I suspect that I will wrap up the first ornament as a gift, with an IOU for the rest, to be delivered before the end of the year. I do believe etiquette gives a wedding guest up to a year to give a gift. I hope it doesn't take me THAT long. As for my own set, and the set I was working on for my best friend and her husband?? Well..... that's going to be a while yet.

I have one more PIF spot open. So far, I have two takers, Shel (Stash of Sanity) and Tammie (A Stitch in Time). If you'd like to receive a stitchy gift from me, post a comment and let me know, on the condition that you make the same offer on your own blog to send out 3 more PIFs. If you're on the fence, now's the time to jump. I have some plans in the works for Tammie and Shel that I'm very excited about. This is the first time I am participating in a PIF and I am really looking forward to it. If you're interested, let me know!

7 comments:

Deirdre said...

I would like to participate in your PIF:) I have been wanting to do this for while!

Pumpkin said...

Boy, you ARE organized! You actually put me to shame ;o) LOL!

I don't know how you feel but I have NO idea where this summer is going. Stitching time keeps getting less and that's no fun :o(

Stash shopping is always fun and an hour and a half drive is nothing! Especially for that 20% off card. LOL!

Jenn said...

I wish I could be that organized with all my photos.

There is nothing better then getting to browse around a LNS for a while and %20 off doesn't hurt either.

Jenn said...

I wish I could be that organized with all my photos.

There is nothing better then getting to browse around a LNS for a while and %20 off doesn't hurt either.

stitcherw said...

Sounds like you have a great system for your photos, mine are kind of here, there, and everywhere. Hope you're able to get things straightened out with your camera soon, having a spot come and go would be very frustrating. Have fun with the Doubleflips, I'm so enjoying stitching those.
Sue

Lynn said...

I organize my photos exactly the same way! I never used to make a backup disc but learned my lesson a couple of years ago. I used the disc at a photo machine in Walmart and when I returned home the CD had been damaged and I could no longer open some of the files. Now I back up every couple of months.

Wendy said...

I'm so lucky - hubby looks after all the picture downloads for me. And he uses the same system as you. He has made copies to keep everywhere, work, each daughter has one, I have one, he has one...just in case!