Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm still alive!

Moving has sucked up much of my days (and evenings) and by the time I am finished for the day, I am too exhausted to stitch, so I've been spending some time trying to catch up with all the blog posts in my Google reader.

I've just about finished unpacking, or at least unpacking in the main part of the house. There's still the matter of the basement to deal with (more boxes down there, but they're storage items) and the garage (DH's domain). DH has been putting in time on a frustrating project at work, so when he gets home, he doesn't even want to think about dealing with the garage. And just as I finish UNPACKING, I have to start REPACKING as we leave for the shore tomorrow morning for a week long vacation. Don't get me wrong - we're desperately in need of a vacation, and I can't wait to see my little niece and nephew. It will be nice to live without boxes for a week!

C in DC has received her signed copy of The Hard Way, so I hope she enjoys it. Carolien, I promise I will get your copy out to you as soon as I find it. I swear I had my hands on it earlier this week, but heaven only knows where it is now!!! And if anyone else has picked up the book, please let me know how you liked it. Julie's friends and family have been reporting back "book sightings" at local bookstores around the country, and it's some pretty exciting stuff. She'll also have her first book signing at a Borders in her hometown in July, so I am hoping that goes well. I'm just so proud of my friend!

I have a new project to start down the shore, Home by the Sea by Designs from Pamela. I spotted it at the online needlework show and fell in love, so I'm stitching this for a housewarming gift for my DH and myself. I may even finish it as shown with the hooks for the keys, or rather, have DH finish it like that! And I already have the perfect hanging spot for it - right inside the door as you enter the kitchen from the laundry room. The laundry room connects the kitchen and the garage, so that will be the door DH and I use most of the time, and I'll be able to see it every day. I'm going to modify it to include our family name and est. 2004 (the year we were married) on the bottom. I've decided that whenever I do a housewarming gift for a married couple, I am going to use the year they were married instead of when they bought the house because IMO, that's when the family was established. I think I'll stitch the personalization in the same brown as the treetrunks.

Now onto the Friday Feasts. I'm not quite as far behind as I thought I was, even though I haven't done these in a long, long time! (or rather it seems that way). And once I am done with those, I am going back off the grid for another week. See you when I get back!!

From Friday's Feasts: A Buffet for your Brain: Friday Feasts #192 & #193

Feast One Hundred & Ninety Two

Appetizer: When you drink soda/pop/coke, do you prefer to drink it from the bottle, a can, or after pouring it into a cup?
Most of the time, I drink straight from the bottle, especially if we're on the road. At home, we usually buy cans of soda, so I drink directly from them. Really the only time I ever drink soda from a class is in a restaurant or someone's home and they make me drink from the glass.

Soup: What television show are you willing to stay up late to watch?
None, really. That's the miracle of cable television. Sooner or later they're going to repeat it. I have been know, however, to keep going with shows on DVD until we finish the disc, which could be very late indeed.

Salad: Name one person, place, or thing you think of as brilliant.
Hands down, my DH

Main Course: Would you be willing to work 4 10-hour days instead of 5 8-hour days in order to save gas?
Absolutely. I've done it before to have the extra day off, and it's not that big of a deal, especially since I like to be in the office early (7-7:30)

Dessert: If you were a superhero, what would you call yourself?
I'm Batman. (it's a joke)

~~~~~~~~~~

Feast One Hundred & Ninety Three

Appetizer: Do you consider yourself to be an optimist or a pessimist?
I used to be very pessimistic, but I've tried to be more optimistic lately. I'm still no Little Mary Sunshine, but I think trying to see the good side makes me a nicer person to be around.

Soup: What is your favorite color of ink to write with?
Black, preferably fine or ultra fine point.

Salad: How often do you get a manicure or pedicure? Do you do them yourself or go to a salon and pay for them?
Occasionally I will treat myself to a salon manicure. But I also have quite a collection of tools and polishes, so I used to keep up with doing my own manicures pretty regularly until we started the packing and moving process and my nails went to hell. I'll be fixing that this week while on family vacation. My 5 year old niece loves when I do her nails - I've even taught her to properly ROLL the bottle to mix instead of shaking it! We've made a family tradition to do manicures on vacation. As for pedicures, I don't care for them at the salon. I'd rather do my own at home, and my toes are almost always nicely painted.

Main Course: Have you ever won anything online?
If so, what was it?I won a sweet bookmark from Barbara.

Dessert: In which room in your house do you keep your home computer?
It's in our guestroom for now but may eventually move down to the craft room in the basement. Once we set up a wireless router though, we can really go anywhere.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

That's a great Design by Pamela. I have some of her other stuff. :D

Glad you are still alive (LOL!) and that the move has been going well. Unpacking is SO exhausting!!

Kim B said...

Such a lovely design! I love the idea of putting the year they were married. Plus, if they ever move it doesn't become insignificant.

Kathryn said...

How wonderful to be in your new house! Don''t think of all the things to do, think of all that you have accomplished. I know that you are going from elation to despair, but someday there will come a day of quiet contentment, when you look around and see what a perfect nest you have made for yourself.

Miokka said...

Enjoy your vacation at the shore! Wish I could spend a week at the beach... Unpacking boxes is never as much fun as packing them, is it?Can't wait to see you new piece all finished up!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Happy Holiday!

Ruth said...

Have a great time!!!!! A simpy marvelous time free from bxes and packing material! :) I love your stitching choice for the shore. It's beautiful. You'll have it all done for us when you come back, right ;-)

Glenna said...

Wow--I hadn't seen Home by the Sea anywhere before. And now I want it! LOL

You ARE taking lots of stitching to the shore, aren't you?

Pumpkin said...

My goodness, I'm surprised you've even had time to Blog! Moving is one thing I dread. Unpacking rates right up there as well :oS

Glad you're getting away for a week. Have a great time :o) I love the new pattern you're taking with you.

Dianne said...

Have a great time at the beach! Seeing little kiddos sure makes it more fun.
Sorry we never got together when you lived closer.
I'm sure you'll make your house a home in no time.

Carolien said...

Oh, don't worry about the book! Take your time ... please settle down first comfortably!!!
I wish you a very relaxing holiday.

Greetings, Carolien

Wendy said...

Have a great vacation - I'm sure you need it after moving!

Lynn said...

You know I think I still have boxes in my crawl space that were never unpacked when I moved here 17yrs ago! I haven't missed anything either!
Home by the Sea is lovely! I haven't seen it before either but it's a must have. Thanks for enabling me, lol!
Enjoy your holiday!

Meari said...

It's been almost a year since I moved and I'm still unpacking. LOL Good luck with your boxes. :)

Rachel S said...

Love that chart! Very pretty!

Enjoy your vacation!

Carolien said...

Hello Jennifer,

Yesterday evening I found your package on my desk. Thank you very, very much! I will read this book during the holidays and will of course pass it on to somebody else. I will put an entry about it on my blog, maybe a blog reader is eager to read it as well? We will see ...
I hope you will have an excellent holiday yourself at the moment.
When you read this: welcome in your new home and I hope you will be very happy there!

Greetings, Carolien

Jenna said...

I'm glad to hear that you are settling into the new digs. Happy housewarming and Happy 4th of July to the two of you!