Monday, February 25, 2008

This weekend's stitching and finishing

I did a whole bunch (for me, anyway) of stitching and finishing this weekend on some ornaments. I may have bitten off more than I can chew in the way of Bride's Tree Ornaments, seeing as how I am trying to make 3 sets, one of which needs to be completed by an August 1st wedding date. Another of the sets is for myself, so I don't have any problems backburnering that one for a little bit to make progress on the others. (And the house I picked for January is much more complicated than I originally thought.)

I did finish two house pieces into ornaments. The one on the left is for my best friend and her husband (name intentionally blurred). It's a free chart from Maryse, which I modified to include their name instead of the month. I also added the year. I originally had this set up as a padded ornament with cording, but the stitching wasn't centered, and I got so frustrated I took the ornament apart. The ornament I glued together. With hot glue. Which I will probably never do again. I ended up turning it into a little pillow ornament which is cute, but a little disappointing to me because it wasn't what I originally wanted. However, it's stitched over 1 on 25 ct. linen and I won't be stitching it again any time soon. I think it turned out okay.

The one on the right is a freebie from Chartmakers, House on a Hill. I backed the ornament with a brown calico-like fabric which turned out nice with the black cording. (Again I modified the design to change the year and the initials to those of the couple.) I'm pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

I also finished an ornament for myself - a Princess ornament! This was a freebie by Lorraine Niesy I found on Cyberstitchers. I'm making three of these in different colors - one for me, one for my niece and one for my cousin. All three of us are "Princesses" (Nevermind that the 5 year old is probably the only one who should be called princess. LOL) I did mine in my favorite colors of blue and silver, added a little silver crown and some star sequins. I stitched it together with a beaded edging during the Oscars, and yes, it took me almost the whole ceremony to stitch it. This was my first time whip stitching with beads, and guess what? It's harder than it looks!!! (I hope it gets easier with practice!). One down, two to go!!

In the Category of Finished but Unfinished, the single nominee (at least the only one I can show for now) is Christmas Hearts by Just Nan. Yep, another freebie pattern. I'm trying to stitch as many ornaments as I can from the hundreds of freebies I've collected - with keeps stash buying to a minimum and accounts for all those hours of freebie hunting and organizing.

And another pattern I modified. I wasn't thrilled with the pinkish purple called for in the pattern, especially since I wanted to use red DMC Rayon thread for the hearts, so I substituted 2 shades of golden yellow DMC floss. I also used WDW Hunter and Holly for the green, and generic gold seed beads for the beading part (I modified placement of the beads.) I am IN LOVE with the Rhodes heart, and am looking forward to stitching more of them. I also found that 2 strands of the rayon made the satin stitch hearts a little fuller and much nicer. This was SUCH a fun stitch and I absolutely love the way it turned out. I'm going to finish it by framing it in a mini wooden hoop and turning it into an ornament for one of the Bride's Tree sets, but I'll definitely stitch this one again for us, probably with a slightly different color combination. (And yes, the thought of stitching it in shades of blue and silver crossed my mind!)

18 comments:

Meari said...

Wow, Jennifer! You were a busy princess. LOL They all look great, so congrats on your finishes. :)

Thanks for the advil advice. Normally, I don't get this sore after working out. It's terrible. LOL My coworker says: You know it's working when it hurts. Yeah... nevermind I look like a decrepit woman trying to walk. LOL!

Vonna said...

My goodness...you've been highly productive this weekend! I love the Princess finish...I need to make those up for my two girls :)
Everything is just beautiful! Congrats!

Barbara said...

Great stuff, Jennifer!! I love the Chartmakers design - Carol S. made it for me, over one! I really like the modifications you made to the Just Nan design, too. :D

Julie said...

WOW super finishes, love your version of the JN Christmas Hearts

Ruth said...

Jeez, jenn. Possibly I'll nominate you for finisher of the month! :) Great work!

Dani said...

Great job on the ornaments! I haven't started any of my ornaments yet since my order was canceled for the designs that I wanted. Oh well ... I'll get to them at some point :)

Kim said...

Wow, great stitching! You were so productive this weekend.
If you like Rhodes Hearts, there's another sweetheart tree fob you might like... ;-)

Kathy A. said...

What a beautiful job you have done on your ornaments. I especially love the Christmas Hearts by Just Nan. That combination of colors is spot on.

Dianne said...

You had a great stitchy weekend! Everything looks so sweet.
As soon as I put these charity zebras behind me, I will be doing some ornaments!

Stephanie said...

Wow, you've been busy! I really love the Just Nan design too, but they're all gorgeous - nice one :)

TinaTx said...

You have been busy! They all look great. congrats!

Pumpkin said...

Holy cow you've been a busy girl! Great finishes that you have under your belt!

From what I can recall, I don't think I've ever done the Rhodes Heart but they sure do look lovely :o)

Sally said...

I love all your finishes Jennifer. They are gorgeous.

Linda said...

Love them all. The Princess one is very cute! I might head on over and grab it to make for my daughter.

Carla said...

Beautiful finishes!!! Love the red herats on the last one!!

Carolien said...

I love your ornaments! Well done.

Greetings, Carolien

Patty said...

I love your houses!

quiltorstitch said...

Great finishes! You have been busy :D

Finishing ornaments always stresses me out. I am always afraid I’m going to mess them up. I have to go slooooow :D