Wednesday, February 20, 2008

SBQ Time

2/13/08: Do you have any projects that you have scrapped and started over? What made you start over from scratch? (Submitted by Loretta)

I have one that I scrapped, but I don't intend on finishing it or starting it over. It's The Wedding Sampler by Design Connection. I started it and then lost touch with the person it was for. It's now unfinished and I'd be willing to pass along the chart and whatever I have done on it. Other than that, there's nothing that I've started over.


And now for some oldies but goodies...

4/19/07: Are you on “The Wagon?” If so, how long have you been on and how “serious” are you about it? If not, have you considered it? (Submitted by Danielle)

I'm pretty good (I think) about my stash, so I don't force myself to be "on the wagon". It's not all over the place, but I am just about at capacity for my storage space. I limit myself to 2 underbed storage boxes for the bulk of my stitching stash, plus a few binders and my floss. Sure, I have a TON of stuff on my wishlist, and I will occasionally treat myself to a few new fibers (every single time I go in the LNS) but I think I'm fairly under control. I do work pretty hard at avoiding temptation by staying off a lot of websites for "stuff" like fabrics and fibers. I think that's my real danger area because I love looking at different colors and I think, "Oh I can definitely use this for SOMETHING!" instead of "What will I do with / Where will I put / who will I give this to?" I can get in a lot more trouble if I don't have a specific idea in mind.


4/5/07: How do you decide which stitching blogs are worth repeat and/or regular viewings? Are there certain things you look for in particular? Are there things you wish there were more of? Less of? Is your blog a good example of what you like to read? (Submitted by Heather)

I subscribe to a LOT of blogs, so how picky can I be, really? LOL I started out subscribing to every cross stitching blog I could find, not realizing how many of them there are. As I've read and gotten more familiar with them, I've added and subtracted from my list so that most of what I read is of interest to me. My favorites are those that have plenty of stitching content, especially of things that are similar to my tastes. I've also developed relationships with fellow bloggers by interacting with them, so their blogs are always of interest to me. Also, I give a blog at least 5-6 readings before I decide to cut it from my list - sometimes a blogger has an off day or whatever, and I like to give them a fair chance. I've discovered many new designs and designers by looking at things that are different from my usual tastes.

I love tutorials and how-tos, so I appreciate when stitchers take the time to show how they've done something. I also appreciate it when a stitcher lists the designer and the flosses they've used (not so much the fabrics). I've made many additions to my wish list because of pretty things on other blogs.

I think my blog is a pretty good example of blogs I like to read. I try to keep the stitching content high (and posts interesting), provide useful links to cross stitching resources, and inject a little of my own personality into the blog. I don't think anyone wants to read endless posts of "Hi, I stitched this. Here are pictures." I like to know a little bit about the stitcher, what made them choose the pattern, what they plan on doing with it, etc.

And I hope I don't offend anyone, but I could do with fewer blinkies and mish-mash pages. One of the reasons I've more or less abandoned message boards (and LOVE using a reader) is that I don't have to look at all kinds of crazy signatures with blinkies and glitter text and such.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Ah, never a blinkie on my blog. And only a single column of not-blog-text on the right. It's about as simple as it could get, since I agree with you. I want to read text and see pictures, mostly through Google Reader. Everything else is frippery.

Patty said...

I can deal with one blinkie but more than that and I have seizures.

Kim said...

For me its an issue of load time. Google Reader rocks :-)

Anna van Schurman said...

I have never understood the blinkie. Never.

zoomcity said...

LOL about the blinkies! I don't like blinky overload, either. Love my Google reader, too. :o)

Meari said...

I can relate to your post about blogs I read. I was the same as you... I subbed to every one I came across. I like to read ones that talk about the stitcher's life as well as show off their stitchy stuff. I only wish I had more time to stitch!!