Monday, February 11, 2008

Life Playlist - a Musical post

Inspired by Patty's post on music, found here, I'd like to share a survey I came across a while back, one that made me think about music in a new way. I also badgered all my friends and my husband into making their playlists. Some resisted at first, but they too found it to be a cool experience. (and now I have some nifty playlists for my iPod). I also really loved seeing what they came up with - they confirmed some things I already knew, but I learned some new and surprising things about them as well.

To get you started, I've provided the list I did for my own life playlist. I know technically you're only supposed to pick 1 song, and believe me, that's harder than you might think. I forced myself to limit it to two songs for this list, but for my own personal playlists, I have as many as 15-20 songs for some of the categories. (I can't help it - I'm obsessed with music and lists).

I'd also like to note that the song lyrics don't necessarily need to reflect the situation. If you have any song that evokes memories of a particular situation on the list, go ahead and use it, even if the lyrics don't seem to fit it. And if you do decide to do the Life Playlist, let me know so I can come see it. I'm always on the lookout for a new playlist.

Opening credits: Porch - Pearl Jam or Rebels - Tom Petty

Waking up: Real Wild Child - Iggy Pop or Here it Goes Again - OK Go

Average day: All My Life - Foo Fighters

First date: When It's Love - Van Halen

Falling in love: Everyday (Acoustic) - Dave Matthews Band or King's Highway (acoustic) - Tom Petty

Love scene: Crazy Love - Bob Dylan and Van Morrison or Gimme Some Lovin - G. Love & Special Sauce

Fight scene: Break Stuff - Limp Bizkit or If You Want Blood - AC/DC

Breaking up: Hands to Heaven - Breathe

Getting back together: Into the Mystic - Van Morrison

Secret love: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? - U2

Life's okay: Beautiful Day - U2

Mental breakdown: Breakdown - Tom Petty

Driving: Motorcycle Driver - Joe Satriani or I-76 - G. Love & Special Sauce

Learning a lesson: Nobody Told Me - John Lennon

Deep thought: All These Things I Have Done - The Killers

Flashback: Mother's Little Helper - Rolling Stones

Partying: I See You Baby (Shakin that Ass) - Groove Armada

Happy dance: Baby I'm a Star - Prince

Regretting: The Secret is to Know When to Stop - Tom Cochrane

Long night alone: Warning Sign - Coldplay

Death scene: Love You Till the End - The Pogues

Closing credits: I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty or Keep Me In Your Heart - Warren Zevon

6 comments:

Dianne said...

Awesome, though being a lady in her late 40s, I don't know some of the songs.
I have a 'playlist' player on my Myspace page with 100 songs I like or musicians/singers I like as sometimes they don't have the exact song I wanted to add.
I think this is a hard list to do.
You would so get along with my friend Dare who could be a DJ!

Kim said...

Awesome! Gotta go look some of those songs up now...
You've got me thinking, but I think it'll be a while before I have my playlist posted.

Pumpkin said...

Oh dear! That's a hard one :oS One, I never remember the names of songs or the artists and then two, I have so many songs that I love. Can I just say that the Eagles and Bon Jovi would probably sum it up for me :o)

Claire said...

It's great fun making a playlist. But I have problems remembering artist and song titles.

Got your note in the mail today. Thanks so much:)

Cheers
Claire

Janet said...

Oh no!!!!!!! 24 hours later and I can't stop trying to think up my own list. I need to find time to trawl through my CD's (never thought I would see the day when referring to CD's seemed ancient!!).

cheeto said...

I'm going to have to sort through iTunes and come up with a list. I love your "Nobody Told Me" for learning a lesson!
Thanks for the suggestion on ripping audiobooks to iTunes - that's going to be sooo much better than how I've been doing it.