Wednesday, February 27, 2008

SBQ: Stitching Weaknesses

2/26/08: What is your cross stitch weakness? (i.e., What do you have to have when you see it, even if you are supposed to be on the Wagon?) (Submitted by Rachel)

Like Kathryn, I cannot resist a sale. Well, I can, but it's extremely difficult and usually involves physical restraint. But you take 10, 20, 30% off, and I am salivating at the thought. I also have a hard time resisting things that have personal meaning to me, or something that connects with an inside joke, such as the Sue Hillis Chart, "Love You More". I'm pretty picky about what I like personally, though I have a weakness for Celtic designs or lighthouses. I comfort myself with putting it on my wishlist, which is ALMOST as good as buying it, but not quite. And if it's something I think I won't be able to get later or is a limited edition, I usually end up buying it.

But by far my biggest weakness is colored flosses, mostly because they're relatively inexpensive and I can buy a couple without breaking the bank. I just cannot resist pretty colors, especially shades of blue (my favorite color). Sometimes I have no idea what I'm going to stitch with them, I just know I need to have them.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh boy, am I with you! Floss on sale is just impossible to resist, even with physical restraint!

Julie said...

Thats a good question, although i am usually good and only buy when i 'really' need to LOL

Kim said...

Ahem. I seem to recall a certain Grab Bag sale that you told me about but somehow managed to resist yourself... although to be fair that wasn't a % off so maybe it doesn't count.
[cough] enabler [cough cough]

Btw, thanks alot for enabling yet again, that chart's perfect for my mom...

Meari said...

I like sales and floss too. Even better when the floss is on sale!

Ruth said...

Here here to the threads. Man I'm a sucker for threads. You know I thought it was going to be "the best" when I talked my shop owner in to buying the full range of Bell Soie Sliks at TNNA this year. Hell no. I keep having to buy them. I just have to. They hang there and call my bloomin name. Drat those threads!

Kim said...

Jennifer -

Thank you so much for visiting my modest blog today! I really enjoyed your comment, especially the part about people being willing to help if I just ask. You are all so warm and friendly!

I'm anxious to visit my LNS, but it's very overwhelming with all the fabrics and fibers! Eventually I will just have to get up the nerve and do it!

I've finally committed myself to trying out linen, though. I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Novice Stitcher said...

At first I just bought floss for each project I was making, but the bug has started to bite and now a few extra skeins seem to be finding their way into my basket. I ordered LHN's Schoolgirl Lessons to I could start using Belle Soie - haven't done it yet but it's beckoning me...

Carla said...

who can resist a sale?!! I can't!!

Lynn said...

I definitely have a weakness for sales too but I have a bigger weakness when it comes to fabric especially if its hand dyed. I have several boxes accumulated some with ornament size and some with the larger pieces. I keep telling myself that I have to buy it now because when I finish work in 3 yrs time I won't have the money to spend that I do now. Convenient excuse!