Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Look what I got!!!

My stitching buddy Kim sent this to me - it arrived yesterday:

Isn't it cool? It's a little hard to see (it's really very cloudy out and the light isn't good) but it's a LIGHTHOUSE!!! (Kim knows that I am lighthouse obsessed) It's absolutely adorable - I love it! She SAYS it's all my fault for leading her down the path of temptation by sending her this website: Knitting Patterns Central. Hee hee! I always tell her I am an enabler. She never listens. LOL

And speaking of my enabling, I also pointed her in the direction of a going out of business sale at Lena Rose, where many of you took advantage of a $22 grab bag and ended up with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. One of the goodies Kim sent my way was a cute little Mill Hill stocking. I've never done a Mill Hill kit before, so it should be a LOT of fun. Thanks, Kim!!

I also made some progress on my Carriage House Sampling's "Acorns and Threads".

I was starting to feel a little all over the place working on a whole bunch of different ornaments, so I thought I'd shift focus onto one singular piece and work on that for a while. There are 2 designs included in the chart, so this is the smaller of the two. I'm stitching over 2 on 36 ct. Creme Brulee (I think) with GAST Dark Chocolate and either Chamomile or Apple Cider. So far, it's just the Dark Chocolate.

I like this pattern - I like the repetitive stitching. It's very soothing. I might be crying when I hit the back stitching part, but I do it a little at a time so it's not so overwhelming at the end.

In other news, one of my best friends, Julie, just found out that she got a great review in Publisher's Weekly of her first book, The Hard Way. I can't even tell you how EXCITED I am for her - she's worked for a long time on this, and I am so, so, so proud of her. And yes, you CAN pre-order it in advance of the May 27, 2008, publication date. In fact, if you do order it, let me know and I can hook you up with an autograph from the author herself. How cool is that?

And finally, I got an email yesterday from a my childhood friend, Becky. She and her husband are expecting their first child this September and I am so thrilled for them. Becky and I have been friends for a very long time - we grew up across the street from each other. She and her husband (and the rest of her family) are just over the moon excited about the new baby. And lucky girl that she is, she's been feeling pretty good for her first trimester, so fingers crossed for a healthy, problem free pregnancy and delivery!

10 comments:

Kim said...

Congratulations to Julie and Becky!

Julie said...

Great gift from Kim. Acorns looks lovely too. Congrats to your friends.

Claire said...

Congrats to both Julie and Becky for book and baby respectively:) Also, love that website - cyberstitchers!! Thanks for that:)

Cheers

Barbara said...

I have my fingers AND my toes crossed for your friends - both with the pregnancy and with the book sales. What great news for everyone!

Love the lighthouse gift you got - how cool and creative is that?!

Jenna said...

That lighthouse piece is SO COOL! How perfect for you. :)

Congratulations to both of your friends on their exciting news!

Sally said...

Love your start on Acorns and Threads. The fabric looks gorgeous.

Congratulations to both your friends!

Wendy said...

I love Acorns and Threads, its such a great piece and I'll look forwards to watching your progress. Congratulations to your friends on their wonderful news.

Novice Stitcher said...

Your post is so much about friendship - I love that focus. You have good friends and you are a good friend to them. It's nice to read such a happy post. Julie's book sounds great. Acorns and Pines looks wonderful so far. Maybe you'll even enjoy the backstitching!

Carla said...

Congratuation to your friends on their pregnacy...are you stitching something for the new baby??

Janet said...

I love Kim's lighthouse, she's so clever. Lucky you!

Your Acorns and threads will be stunning, great colour choices!

I've pre-ordered the book (despite having been placed on a "no spend" kick by Big I - I'll tell him you made me do it!!) , I'm really looking foward to it as it sounds like a fantastic read.

Oh, and congratulations to Becky!

P.S I'm not laughing about the light switch labels, I'd do it myself if Big I would let me!