Thursday, August 7, 2008

SBQ: Threads

8/7/08: What do you do to your thread clippings? Do you just scrap them or do you use them in something else? (submitted by Outi)

May I present my ort jar?

I've posted this before, but this is a picture taken a few months ago of my ort jar, a repurposed candy jar. It contains most of the thread clippings from almost 5 years worth of stitching. A small bit was taken out as an experiment with our local wild birds to see if they would be interested in using the threads for their nests. They were not, so I stopped offering. And the clippings from the wedding record piece DH and I stitched for ourselves are inside a glass ornament that gets hung on our Christmas tree. Which means most of the rest of the clippings are in that jar, and pretty tightly packed in there.

I don't know what I'll do when I just can't pack any more in there. Probably cap that jar, put it on a shelf and start a new one.

And yes, I do gather up my clippings when I travel and put them in the jar when I get home.

PS - Some people say that ORT stands for "old raggedy / ratty threads". Anna contends that its meaning stems from the Middle English / Low German use of the word, a small bit or left over scrap, usually from a meal.

13 comments:

Daffycat said...

As I took a photo of my ort jar I was thinking, "I'm going to have to get a taller jar some day."

What a great ort jar! I LOVE your idea of the special threads in the Christmas ornament...that's so sweet!

Cindy said...

Love your ort jar! I started collecting mine in a canning jar this year, just to see how much I could end the year with. I like your idea of keeping it going :)

Tanya said...

That is so neat!!!

Tanya

Ruth said...

Jennifer, I love your ort jar. lol I tried passing mine along to the birds as well-- they weren't entranced either. I wonder if they sat in the trees saying, "sheesh-- used, raggedy threads again. What? We look second class? She can't cut us some fresh thread?" :)

BTW, I'm behind in my reading, but I'm with you on the awards. I like to thank people -- not obligate them, but thank them for making my day.

Itching To Stitch said...

I started an ORT jar a couple of months ago when I saw one on someone's blog. I think it's a great idea ;)

Anna van Schurman said...

Thanks for spreading the good word!

tkdchick said...

What a fantastic ort jar! I have one but I empty it each year on New Year's day and start fresh!

Laurel's stitching said...

I empty my thread snippings out early in the spring....when the birds are looking for things to build their nests! huggerz laurel

Michele said...

great ort jar! me, I just toss them at the end of every stitching session .. into the trash .. hmmmmm, maybe I'll have to find an awesome ort jar :)

Terry said...

Wow! I only have a small snack bag that I use but I'm hoping to have to get something bigger someday soon. Will you use the thread to stuff a biscornu or something like that?

Milly~ said...

Hehehe, I thought I was the only one with an ort jar. Mine is posted to my blog.

Patty said...

I started an ort jar after you posted the first picture of yours. Thanks for this great idea!

Kathy said...

Love Ort Jars. I have a smaller one that gets filled about every 6 months and then I just dump it out. I like to see how long it takes me to fill it.

When I travel, I have a small zip-lock bag, like for jewelry beads come in. I put all my snippets in there until full and then pitch.