Friday, August 22, 2008

SBQ: Fabric and Floss

8/21/2008: If you had to choose, would you rather spend money on overdyed floss or hand-dyed fabric? (Submitted by Dawn)

Good question. I have yet to stitch on hand dyed fabric as it has been too expensive for me. My former LNS only sold it in pre-cut packages and I could never seem to justify the expense of it. However, my new LNS custom cuts fabrics for projects and sells grab bags of the off cuts. One of my recent purchases contained a piece of the hand dyed fabric, so I will see if I like stitching on it.

For now, I'd prefer to spend the money on the floss, but only some of the flosses. If I can use a DMC alternative, I'm happy with that, and will tend to spend money on overdyeds that are more varigated. If you can't tell the difference between a $ .35 skein of DMC and a $2.25 skein of overdyed, I'd rather purchase the DMC. Although I do admit that sometimes I can be swayed by a cool name for an overdyed!

8 comments:

CJ said...

Very good comment. I have all the DMC colors so I tend to use them first. As for hand-dyed fabric, I have tried a few and I like them very much, especially from Enchanted Fabrics,

staci said...

I have to agree with you...you should try dyeing your own fabric--so much cheaper and so fun!

And I agree about the hand-dyed fibers, if you can't see much variegation then it isn't worth the expense (or if it's for only a few stitches.)

Kathryn said...

I usually use hand dyed threads even if there isn't much variation. I have gotten caught by trying to substitute and ending up frogging it all out. But the one GAST I will not use is Black Crow. There is a 1/4" of dark navy blue every 18". I use DMC 310 instead.

diadsie said...

I do think if you have a project that you really love and the over-dyed fabric is within your price range, go for it (check on eBay and for sales on the popular sites)! I did my Cape May Lighthouse on an unusual blue and it looks really pretty. I have a few more overduyed pieces I am stitching on. I really like linens though for their timeless quality.

Patty said...

I use DMC because that's all I can afford now but I know some day I will buy a bunch of overdyed floss based only on their names.

Wendy said...

I am a fan of Lakeside Linens, but I have also tried tea-dying my own and I love how the fabrics have turned out!

Debi said...

Thanks for popping over and leaving such a thoughtful comment on my blog rant. I absolutely agree with your perception about Bob Dole and, even as a very liberal Dem, would have been very satisfied with him as President. Al Gore had the same problem with his handlers. DH attended a couple of Gore events where he saw a completely different man than the one the handlers produced. Thanks again for coming over!

Lynn said...

I'm a hand-dyed fabric girl myself. I can't seem to resist them. However I do limit myself to small cuts. My LNS also sells ends and I love checking out the Silkweaver Solos for small cuts.I've also found some at reasonable prices on ebay.
I agree with you on the flosses. I especially can't justify spending on the overdyeds for stitching smalls. So many of the designers use them and don't give DMC alternatives.