Thursday, December 6, 2007

Look what came back from the framers!

Rocky Point by Dimensions (kit)

This is one of the first pieces my DH stitched. I know! Quite ambitious!!! It took him over a year to stitch the piece, and it languished in a drawer for a few more until my MIL asked us what we wanted for Christmas. DH and I had been discussing getting some of our more complicated pieces professionally framed, but the expense was a little daunting. However, getting one or two pieces at a time done made it less daunting, so we asked MIL if she'd like to foot the bill to have this piece framed. She thought it was a wonderful idea, so I took it to my LNS to have it done and picked it up yesterday. It's absolutely gorgeous, and will have a place of honor in our new home.

A few other things also managed to follow me out of the store. I don't know how it happened. Really. I swear. LHN's Princess and the Pea followed me home. I was just going to stitch it in DMC floss, but then I thought well why not stitch it in the recommended fibers, so that necessitated an order from Stitcher's Closet when I got home. And then I saw on Kim's blog that she was working on the piece as well, so we'll be stitching them together as soon as my fibers arrive

Also following me home were threads I picked for Carriage House Sampling's Acorns and Threads. I went with GAST Dark Chocolate, Apple Cider and Chamomile instead of the recommended fibers. (A gorgeous dark blue/purple called Auntie Dee slipped in there as well, though I am not sure what I will use it for). And then there was the Crescent Colors Belle Soie in Creme de Menthe that will probably be used for some Christmas ornaments.

Finally, some fabrics. I've been deciding on a few ornaments to do from the JCS ornament issue and decided on Snow Bunnies and Winter Love for myself, and DH is going to do the woodpecker. Our house backs up to woods and we have a feeder on our deck, so we get lots of different birds for us (and our cat!) to enjoy looking at. My favorite is the red bellied woodpecker with the cool red head (like me!), but DH likes the downy and hairy woodpeckers - the black and white ones with the tiny little red stripe on the males. I've been looking for a woodpecker ornament for our tree for a while now, so this is perfect.

Last night, I made a little more progress on Nautical Dreams, but I didn't take any pictures. I need to hurry up and get it done because I can feel myself getting bored doing it and itching to work on new projects.

15 comments:

Vee said...

Wow! Your DH did a fantastic job on this. Beautiful!

(http://brokenneedle.typepad.com)

Kathryn said...

Congratulations on getting this GORGEOUS piece out of the drawer and into a handsome frame. We just framed some prints (not stitching) with a black border and I have to say, it really makes the colors pop. Have fun with your new patterns.

Teejay said...

It's a magnificent piece! Congratulations!

Kim said...

Wow, when you said your husband stitches, he REALLY stitches. Congratulations on the gorgeous finish!

OMG, you're a genius! I love the February Knows idea. I'm going to modify Bent Creek's freebie Groundhog Day pattern to fit it. Thank you!!!

Sweet Pea said...

I know! I was surprised he took it on so soon into his stitching experience. I wish you could see it up close - it's utterly perfect. He did such an amazing job (and on such a manly theme too, as everyone knows boys don't stitch girly things!!)

Dawn said...

DH did a stunning job! The frame makes it even more stunning!

LOL...you sound like me at the LNS. I go in for one thing and come out with several things. Like you, I just don't know how it happens:)

Anita said...

It is a stunning piece and great framing.

Pumpkin said...

Oh WOW! That is just beautiful and the mat and frame you chose really set the piece off :o) Your DH should be proud!

Great stashing! I'm green with envy ;o)

Btw, HOW do you share your stash with DH???? LOL! That is one problem I know I'll never have.

Kathy said...

What a wonderful piece. Glad to hear of a man that stitches. It is hard to convince men that it is a great hobby for them too.

Tell him to keep up the good work!!

Sally said...

Your DH did a wonderful job on Rocky Point! It looks fantastic.

C in DC said...

I too love Acorns and Threads. I bought "Old Oak" thread to do the main stitching. It seemed appropriate.

I found you through Lake Stitcher's blog.

Terry said...

WOW! Your DH did a splendid job on this. I'm so jealous - I'd love to be able to get mine to stitch but I can't see than happening.

Rachel S said...

Beautiful!

Wendy said...

Your hubby did a magnificent job on this one! It looks fantastic framed and I'm sure you are going to love having it hanging in your house.

Meari said...

It looks great!