- Heart - true love, love of family
- House - shelter and/or protection
- Flower or Flower Basket - good wishes, beauty in the home
- Fruit or Fruit Basket - generosity, plenty
- Teapot or Coffeepot - hospitality
- Bird or Bird in a nest - happiness and/or joy, confidence in the shelter
- Pinecone - motherhood and/or fruitfulness, eternity
- Rose - beauty and/or affection, Virgin or Mother Mary
- Fish - Christ's blessing, fertility, Christ
- Angel or church - God's guidance in the home, God's protection, God
- St. Nicholas (Santa Claus) - giving and sharing, unselfishness and/or goodwill
- Rabbit - hope and/or faith
We also put together a set of ornaments for our own tree, but I've been thinking I would like to stitch up some well. Even if I don't hang them on our tree, it would make a wonderful gift. And since there are 12 ornaments in the list and 12 months in the year, I thought, "Why not put this out there as a stitch along?" Ornaments would stitch up quick and the list allows for tons of creativity in interpretation. Plus since 2008 has been dubbed the Year of Selfish Stitching, why not make a personalized set of ornaments for yourself?
I did a little preliminary research and was able to find all 12 patterns in the Better Homes and Garden's 2001 Cross Stitch Designs book. However, I've seen how amazingly creative and resourceful my fellow stitchers are, and I think this could be a great way to express that creativity. I would post the ornament theme for the month and everyone would stitch their piece, posting pictures when they complete them. Of course, I'd post the entire list on the blog in case anyone wants to work ahead or keep their eyes open for ideas, but the focus would be one one theme per month.
I've set up a blog here: Bride's Tree SAL. It doesn't look like much now, but I'll be working on it over the next few days. If you're interested in doing the SAL with me, let me know and I will add you as an author so you can post your pictures.