Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy New Year!!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and is enjoying the New Year! For those of us here in the Northeast US, we're in the middle of a deep freeze - holy COW it's cold out there!!!!!! (All the more reason to stay inside where it's nice and warm and stitch!)

We had a great Christmas - our son Nick's first one. I still can't get over how lucky we are that he's such a good kid. So cheerful and laid back, and so good about letting people hold him. My 5 year old nephew and 7 year old niece were just over the moon about their new cousin, especially since they were allowed to hold and feed him. Who knew kids could get so excited about that? It was very cute to see them all together, and my nephew even shared his new Star Wars toys with the baby.

On the stitching front, I'm planning on taking on a one a week ornament challenge - more on that later. Also, my lovely MIL gifted me with Butternut Road's Celtic Banner chart and the cash to purchase the fabric for it. I know the pattern has been out for a while and some of you have stitched it, so I'm wondering what to do about the border. The chart calls for Caron Wildflowers in Cedar and Black Forest, but as I've searched the net, I've seen a few negative comments on these threads. I've never stitched with them, so I know nothing about it. For those of you who have either used these threads or stitched Celtic Banner, what can you recommend? Use the threads, or substitute something else? Perhaps the same colors in the silk threads or maybe a DMC conversion? Any thoughts on the subject would be most appreciated.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Jennifer,
I haven't used Caron threads but actually someone gave me some that they got out of an estate find and I haven't used them yet. If I can remember they are pretty thick strands? I always try to stick with what the pattern calls for but sometimes I have to substitute when I know I want be in the city for awhile to get some colors.
So, it's so totally up to you! That's what's fun about stitching, experimenting and playing with threads.

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest
http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com/

Rachel said...

The threads called for are thick, similar to at least 2 or 3 strands DMC, so you shouldnt go smaller than 32ct. Im using 32ct water-lily linen and the called for Caron threads as they look really wonderful with the green-ish fabric.

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas with your family :o)

Carolyn NC said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas!

Brigitte said...

Nice to read that you were having a nice Christmas season and a good start of the new year.
I have never stitched with Caron Wildflowers, only with their Waterlilies silks. So I can't help you with this. But you will find a solution that suits you.
Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.

Carol said...

Hi Jennifer! Thank you for visiting my blog--it is always a pleasure to "meet" new stitchers (especially from Pennsylvania!)... Congratulations on becoming a new mom this year--I did some of my earliest stitching when my boys napped many, many years ago (they are now in their twenties!!).

I'm happy to hear that you are thinking of trying the "ornament a week" challenge this year. It was a lot of fun (a bit anxiety producing at times to meet my weekly deadline!) and I met so many nice people since I started my blog last January. Good luck :)

Kathy A. said...

Hi Jennifer and Happy New Year.
I stitched Celtic Banner a couple of years ago. There was no problem at all with the threads. They are beautiful and suit the antique style of the banner perfectly.

Marie-P said...

Glad that the holidays were fun for all of you. Happy to hear that sweet little Nick remains a trouble free easy baby ~ Lucky you!

Can't help on Butternut Road's Celtic Banner since I have never stitched it nor have I seen it.

Ornament a week challenge...tell me more (???)

Kathy said...

Have stitched with Wildflowers seveal times and never had a problem with it. Since it is a varigated thread, it will be hard to find a decent conversion to DMC. I know several people that have stitched Celtic Banner and I think they used the Wildflowers. It is an awesome piece to stitch. The finished piece is beautiful. Good luck.