Thursday, January 21, 2010

My last finish of 2009

Nick's First Christmas Ornament
Côté Mer by Couleur d'Etoile
Stitched 1 over 1 on 32 ct. evenweave with WDW Kentucky Bluegrass

I knew when Gaby sent me this chart (as a thank you for sending postcards to help out with her son's school project) that it was destined for something special - I just didn't know what. And then I got pregnant with my son and I knew this would be a PERFECT ornament for his first ornament (I plan on stitching one for him every year). We did Nick's nursery in a sailboat and lighthouse theme, and one of his favorite toys is a Glo-worm type seahorse. See? Perfect.

Just before Christmas, I pulled the chart out of my stash and raided my small cuts of fabric for a piece of evenweave. I knew I wanted to stitch this over one so it would make a petite ornament, and over 1 worked out great. In fact, it's triggered several over 1 stitching projects - I seem to be on that kick lately. (More to come on those later). The thread was one of those "oh isn't that pretty? I bet I could do something with that" impulse purchases.

With the holidays - shopping, baking, traveling, etc., I didn't manage to finish the ornament before Christmas. In fact, I put the last few stitches in it on New Year's Eve! But I was determined to *finish* finish it in time to get it in his ornament box when I took the tree down. And I did - YAY ME!! In fact, I finished several ornaments this past week, including another for our tree, which happens to be my first finish for 2010 and something you'll see in another post.


And because I like to personalize things, I stitched up the back with his name and year, plus a sailboat from the front. I love, love, love how it turned out, including the cording I used to trim. Which just happens to be a smaller version of the drapery tiebacks in his nursery. Yeah, how cool am I?

23 comments:

Vonna said...

I think that a pretty special baby's first ornament :)

Blu said...

A beautiful ornie. What a lovely memento.

Carol said...

I'm sure Nick will treasure his first ornament when he is all grown up--it looks just perfect, Jenn :)

Teri said...

Beautiful finish and a great start to baby Nick's collection!

lynda said...

What a beautiful way to commemorate Nick's first Christmas!

Kim B said...

It's perfect Jennifer! Congrats! It's absolutely gorgeous!

Christine said...

That turned out really well! Congrats!

Kathy A. said...

That is such a lovely ornament. You have done a wonderful job starting on little Nicholas' personal collection.

Nic said...

Very pretty!

Irene said...

Lovely ornament and a great start to his collection.

Brigitte said...

Such a lovely ornament and so perfect for Nick. Love it.

Donna said...

This is so sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next year!

Rachel S said...

That is perfect! What a lovely thing!

Catherine said...

Perfectly lovely!

staci said...

What a sweet ornie :)

Lee said...

How cool are you? VERY COOL! Your son will always treasure this ornie. I had to smile at the lighthouse....No doubt that he'll have a lighthouse-liking gene!

C in DC said...

How beautiful. The color of the thread is perfect too. How's the little guy doing?

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Hi Jenn,

I am catching up on your blog on a rare day off. Love this sweet sweet ornie for your Nick. It turned out beautifully!

Also, I am TOTALLY impressed with your closet dividers. well done!

Rachel

Annie said...

That looks so pretty with the over-one stitching. Such a delicate piece when you do it that way. And it couldn't be more perfect for the theme. A really great keepsake!

Jenna said...

How special and perfect is Nick's ornament!

Lynn said...

You're right Jennifer, it's the perfect ornament for Nick. You've finished it beautifully too.

Real Live Woman said...

The ornament is adorable!

Meari said...

It turned out beautifully :)