Friday, January 8, 2010

A Star Danced

A good friend of mine gave birth to her first son just a few short months before our son arrived, so part of our pregnancies overlapped and we were able to share our experiences. Rachel was a tremendous help and a source of support for me, so I wanted to make something for her son as a thank you for some very nice things she did for me.

The trouble is, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do, so I stitched both! First up is a simple birth record.


Snips and Snails by Serendipity Designs
Stitched over 1 on 14 ct. white Aida with DMC Threads

I purchased the boy and girl versions of these designs as they're a handy piece to have around. They stitch up quick and are super easy to personalize, plus they're not overly cutesy. The original design only calls for the first name, but whenever possible, I like to include the middle name as well as it fits nicely into a 5x7 frame. I don't generally stitch on Aida anymore, but I do like the slightly chunky look it lends to this piece.

I also knew I wanted to stitch up this piece, ever since the first time I saw it way back in January.


A Star Danced by Sharon Bennett (Daffycat Designs)
Stitched on 32 ct. linen with my own hand dyed threads
Name blurred for privacy

I fell in love with this design that Sharon created for her daughter's 21st birthday (you can read the story on her blog by clicking on the link to the chart). I personalized the back with the complete information, then finished the piece into an ornament. I followed Nicky's tutorial for ruched ribbon, and stitched it on the finished pillow by hand. I LOVE how it came out.

10 comments:

Rachel S said...

That is really pretty. I love Daffycat's design!

Catherine said...

They are both wonderful, but I have to admit that I am partial to the Daffycat Design piece!

Sally said...

They are both lovely Jennifer.

Robin said...

Both are very nice but the ornament is my favorite! I love the design and also your finishing is SUPERB!!!

Kim B said...

Oh Jennifer what sweet little finishes for your friend!!

Kathy A. said...

Very lovely finishes for your friend's little guy.

Nic said...

Cute finishes!

Becky K in OK said...

I love how you finished Daffycat's ASD. Thanks for the link on how to ruche a ribbon. It's just what I needed.

Christine said...

Lovely finishes!!

Daffycat said...

Oh, Jennifer. Your finishing is the perfect touch. Thank you so much for stitching my design! I love, love, love that ruched ribbon edging!