Wednesday, April 2, 2008

SBQ: Downloads

3/26/08: When you stitch a pattern that you have downloaded do you print out the pattern or do you stitch directly from your computer screen?

When I first read this question, I thought, "How can anyone possibly stitch from a screen?" I was sure the answer would be that they couldn't, so imagine my surprise when I discovered some of you are capable of doing just that! More power to you - I'd probably make myself blind and/or stab my screen with scissors at some point! LOL

I absolutely must have a print out of any chart I stitch. Our computer is in our guest room upstairs, and I prefer to stitch with the TV on. We don't have a TV upstairs or a computer downstairs, hence the need to print things out. Also, I spend a lot of time staring at a computer screen during the day - I'm not so sure I want to continue looking at it while I'm stitching. And I like to keep my stitching portable, and a printed chart lends itself to that much better than a desktop computer.


In other news, I am making some progress on my crab - he now has the rest of his legs at least partially completed, so he's a least a little in balance. He's the only thing I've been stitching on - yes, my ornaments for my SALs have fallen a bit by the wayside. (Extra shameful for me, considering I administed the 2 ornament SALs.) I really do need to get back to at least one set of the Bride's Tree ornaments, seeing as how the wedding they're for is coming up in August.

I haven't been stitching (or blogging) as much as I normally would because we're in the process of house hunting, and I am so frustrated with it I could just cry. DH and I have a set budget that we're not flexible on. We've both read too many stories of people getting in over their heads and we don't want to put ourselves in that position, even if it means we don't get everything we want. We had what we thought were pretty solid ideas about what we wanted, but looking at houses, considering our budget, etc., has forced us to change some of those ideas, and unfortunately, DH and I have gone down slightly different paths. He wants a bigger house with more space and an opportunity to fix it up, something we can "grow into". I'd love that, but I don't think it's practical for us right now, especially since we want to have a child. I'd rather a more finished house with a great yard and a good neighborhood, even if it is smaller. Really I just don't know what we're going to do.

8 comments:

Kathy A. said...

I can't imagine trying to stitch from a computer screen either. Househunting is always a frustrating experience. Hang tough - if you do not have to move by a certain date - WAIT. The perfect house will come along. DH and I have bought and sold 10 houses during his military career and each one was definitely an experience - some good, some bad

Kim B said...

Kathy is right - eventually a house you can both agree on will come along. Spring and summer a bunch of new houses should come on the market. People like to move during the summer while kids are out of school.

Barbara said...

I sure do sympathize! I love older houses, and started off with a fixer-upper ... but now that we have kids, I really want the home to be safe for them (and the neighborhood, too). Good luck!!

Kathryn said...

Here's a hug for the house hunting blues. The real questions to ask are: if you are going to stay in this house a while and are going to start a family, is this a good school district? Yes, it might be years before school is an issue, but add it to your list of questions. Secondly, do you both have the skills and patience to fix up a house, even as a general contractor? I keep remembering a house we used to walk by every evening with half the side fence painted. It stayed half painted for years.

Dianne said...

I wish you well with your house hunting. It was hard back in '86. I would say go as big as you can afford. We aren't in the position to move and we are tight here. We definitely bought a livable fixer upper (it needed painting and some appliances and new things) and we have done that over the years. Now we need to replace the things we first replaced! We still have the 48 yr old toilet though!

Stephanie said...

I know - stitching from a screen? Weird.

They say that buying a house is the second most stressful event, second only to the death of a close family member...and it sounds like you are not getting off lightly - I hope you and your DH find a way forward - very best luck to you, I know how frustrating it is.

Novice Stitcher said...

Househunting can be so frustrating and put stress on any relationship. This too shall pass, but while you are going through it, it's really tough. One thought - have you considered building a house? We found (to our surprise) when we were looking that building was comparable to buying an existing house, so that's what we did. I'm not sure how it is in your area, but it's worth considering. A new house negates the fixer-upper issue.

No computer screen stitching for me either, but I do surf blogs as I stitch!

Rachel S said...

I can't stitch from the screen either.

have patience with the house hunting process. What will be, will be.