- How do you hold your fabric? Unless a project is very small, I have trouble stitching "in hand" and prefer to use scroll frames.
- Floss licker? Yep, ever since childhood when my grandmother instilled some basic sewing skills. I occasionally experiment with a threader, but find it much more conveniet to just lick the floss.
- How do you thread your needle? Trim the end if necessary, lick the floss, and thread it through. Easy peasy.
- What needle do you like best? I'm not too picky about brand, though I won't turn my nose up at a nicer (more expensive) needle. I prefer size 28s as I usually stitch on linen, evenweave or high count aida.
- Are you a needle loser? Having stepped on a needle (or pin) or two, I am SUPER careful about keeping track of my needles. I use a magnetic "Needle Nest" to store them and that seems to work out for me. I also like sticking threaded needles right in the bobbin
- What fabric do you prefer to stitch on? Evenweave. I'm a big fan of Lambswool Jobelean. I'd be hard pressed to ever want to stitch on 14 ct. Aida again.
- Bobbins or floss bags? Ahhh, here is a bone of contention in my stitching world. I prefer bobbins and all of my DMCs are on bobbins. HOWEVER, my DH is also a stitcher and does not like the kinks bobbins put into the threads; he prefers working off the whole skein and keeping floss in snack size ziploc bags (way cheaper that the same thing labeled as a floss bag). So we have 2 sets of DMC - one on bobbins and one in skeins. It's just easier that way. And I try to keep a lid on specialty threads, so they're usually only purchased for specific projects and kept with the projects.
- Are you a scissors collector? Sometimes I'd think I'd like to be, but I can't afford it. I'd rather spend the money on new materials or projects. I have a few pair of scissors, but I try to keep pretty good track of them, even though none of them are particulary fancy.
- Do you do your own framing, and if so, do you lace or pin? I have done my own framing, unless I can talk my DH into doing it for me. He's far more patient than I am. And I cheat - I use the sticky mounting board. (Hey, it's acid free)
- Are you a floss floozy? I am a sucker for pretty colors
- Silk? I like it as much as anything else, though I can't really see what the big deal is. Maybe I haven't stitched enough with it?
- Railroader? Sometimes, but only on the top leg.
- Are you a pattern or designer snob? Not really. I don't even know what this question means. If I like something or find a pattern suitable for an occasion, I'll stitch it. I don't care who designed it.
- Do you get antsy when you give someone a stitched gift? Not really - I try to make the gift as appropriate to the recipient as possible.
- Have you reached S.A.B.L.E.? I don't think so, unless you start counting all the freebies I have saved. Then maybe I have. But really, what does it matter? It doesn't cost anything to feed them, as my father would say.
- Do you wash your projects? Most of them that I stitch with DMC floss, I'll wash. I hesitate to wash ones with overdyeds because I do not rinse them before I start stitching. I'm just extra careful to be clean with these projects.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
A Stitching Meme
I saw this on Stitch Bitch a few days ago...