Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Stitching Meme

I saw this on Stitch Bitch a few days ago...
  1. How do you hold your fabric? Unless a project is very small, I have trouble stitching "in hand" and prefer to use scroll frames.


  2. Floss licker? Yep, ever since childhood when my grandmother instilled some basic sewing skills. I occasionally experiment with a threader, but find it much more conveniet to just lick the floss.


  3. How do you thread your needle? Trim the end if necessary, lick the floss, and thread it through. Easy peasy.


  4. What needle do you like best? I'm not too picky about brand, though I won't turn my nose up at a nicer (more expensive) needle. I prefer size 28s as I usually stitch on linen, evenweave or high count aida.


  5. Are you a needle loser? Having stepped on a needle (or pin) or two, I am SUPER careful about keeping track of my needles. I use a magnetic "Needle Nest" to store them and that seems to work out for me. I also like sticking threaded needles right in the bobbin


  6. What fabric do you prefer to stitch on? Evenweave. I'm a big fan of Lambswool Jobelean. I'd be hard pressed to ever want to stitch on 14 ct. Aida again.


  7. Bobbins or floss bags? Ahhh, here is a bone of contention in my stitching world. I prefer bobbins and all of my DMCs are on bobbins. HOWEVER, my DH is also a stitcher and does not like the kinks bobbins put into the threads; he prefers working off the whole skein and keeping floss in snack size ziploc bags (way cheaper that the same thing labeled as a floss bag). So we have 2 sets of DMC - one on bobbins and one in skeins. It's just easier that way. And I try to keep a lid on specialty threads, so they're usually only purchased for specific projects and kept with the projects.


  8. Are you a scissors collector? Sometimes I'd think I'd like to be, but I can't afford it. I'd rather spend the money on new materials or projects. I have a few pair of scissors, but I try to keep pretty good track of them, even though none of them are particulary fancy.


  9. Do you do your own framing, and if so, do you lace or pin? I have done my own framing, unless I can talk my DH into doing it for me. He's far more patient than I am. And I cheat - I use the sticky mounting board. (Hey, it's acid free)


  10. Are you a floss floozy? I am a sucker for pretty colors


  11. Silk? I like it as much as anything else, though I can't really see what the big deal is. Maybe I haven't stitched enough with it?


  12. Railroader? Sometimes, but only on the top leg.


  13. Are you a pattern or designer snob? Not really. I don't even know what this question means. If I like something or find a pattern suitable for an occasion, I'll stitch it. I don't care who designed it.


  14. Do you get antsy when you give someone a stitched gift? Not really - I try to make the gift as appropriate to the recipient as possible.


  15. Have you reached S.A.B.L.E.? I don't think so, unless you start counting all the freebies I have saved. Then maybe I have. But really, what does it matter? It doesn't cost anything to feed them, as my father would say.


  16. Do you wash your projects? Most of them that I stitch with DMC floss, I'll wash. I hesitate to wash ones with overdyeds because I do not rinse them before I start stitching. I'm just extra careful to be clean with these projects.

3 comments:

Kim B said...

Floss licking is "easy peasy" :)

Dianne said...

I'm with Jeff, I keep my floss the way you buy it as I am too lazy to wind it all on bobbins (my mom did that once and didn't mark the bobbins!). I also keep them in baggies. I know it's a pain to go through them when starting a project, but it's better than how I use to keep them all tossed in one basket.
What was that abbreviated thing-stash something? ; )

Dani said...

Jennifer - I have to agree with you on the framing ... I cheat and use the mounting boards (that are made with stitching in mind).