Thursday, April 17, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Count the Stars
Dimension Gold Petite Kit
(modified from the original)
 
Today is our fourth wedding anniversary and the weather is much like it was for our wedding day - gorgeous and sunny, and even a little on the warm side. The funny thing is we were married the week after Easter, and this year, it seems like Easter was AGES ago!

This is the piece that DH and I stitched together for our wedding. Whenever I make something for a wedding, new house, or new baby, I try to personalize it as best as I can for the recipient and our own piece was no exception. We were fairly new stitchers at the time, so we were lucky to find a kit that only required a little modification. We used stars as a theme for the wedding, partially because we are huge Dallas Cowboys fans. I would have liked more silver in the piece, since our wedding colors were navy blue and silver, but I couldn't figure out how to work in a silver or white sun, so I left it the original colors, and we framed it in navy and silver.

You'll have to excuse what looks like some wonky trim there - I took this picture before we got it straightened out and properly framed.I should take a picture of the framed piece - it looks quite nice! Also, the original piece had the phrase "Look towards Heaven and count the stars", but we changed it to what you see now. If you don't recognize it, it's a line from a poem by ee cummings that has very special meaning to us.

silently if,out of not knowable
night’s utmost nothing,wanders a little guess
(only which is this world)more of my life does
not leap than with the mystery your smile

sings or if(spiraling as luminous
they climb oblivionvoices who are dreams,
less into heaven certainly earth swims
than each my deeper death becomes your kiss

losing through you what seemed myself;i find
selves unimaginably mine;beyond
sorrow’s own joys and hoping’s very fears

yours is the light by which my spirit’s born:
yours is the darkness of my soul’s return
–you are my sun,my moon,and all my stars

My DH is a scientist, but developed a great appreciation and fondness for ee cummings. If you're not familiar with the poet, he's actually quite romantic and several of his poems made it into notes and cards from my DH while we were dating. I knew we had to include something from this poem in our wedding, and changing the wording on the piece was perfect.
We also used a line from another poem on our wedding invites: one's not half two. It's two are halves of one. So there you have it. Happy Anniversary to us!

16 comments:

Vonna said...

A beautiful sampler for a lovely couple, I'm sure ;) How wonderful and sentimental is you both stitching on it?
Happy Anniversary, our 12th is on April 27 :)

Kim B said...

That's just beautiful! I'm impressed that DH stitches! Happy Anniversary!!

Anna van Schurman said...

Happy anniversary!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary! Wonderful job on the stitching, Lisa :-)

Christine said...

Happy Anniversary!!

It's so nice to see that someone else has stitched this design. I finished mine (with the original phrase) about 7 years ago. There was a lot of stitching in that little piece!

Barbara said...

Cummings is my favorite poet! We used a line from one of his poems for Nicky's birth cards.

Happy anniversary!! :D

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary, lovely stitched piece

Dawn said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love the stitched piece:)

Dianne said...

I think it's so sweet that you worked on the piece and added your own favorite poetry to it. : ) I love anything moon related (my name also stems from Diana, goddess of the moon), so I really love this! I hope you had a terrific anniversary.

Janet said...

Happy Anniversary!

Pumpkin said...

Happy belated Anniversary!!!! What a wonderful gift you gave each other :o)

Sharon said...

Hi Jennifer, Happy belated Annviersary to you and your DH! April is such a great month isn't it? I love your sampler and how wonderful that your DH can stitch too.

Thanks for blog anniversary wishes! I appreciate them.

Olenka's Stitches said...

A stunning sampler! Happy Anniversary!

kim said...

Happy anniversary! That's a beautiful wedding sampler, and it's really cool that you personalized it so much to fit your wedding.

Meari said...

Happy Belated Anniversary, Jennifer!

mail said...

Hi Jennifer
It's lovely to come across kindred spirits. I first read one's not half two.. as one of the first ee cummings poems i found. he inspired me to write poetry myself. this poem touched me as what I longed for with my beloved, and we used this line for our wedding invitation in 1968. Now we have used it again in our 40th anniversary invitation. We celebrate your 4th with you and wish you many more.