Friday, November 30, 2007

More SBQs

I'm still contemplating the current SBQ, so until I come up with a good answer, here's a few more from the archives

7/12/07: This SBQ was lifted from a couple of threads over on The Wagon and is:
What do you love to do that many people hate? What do you hate to do, but do anyway?


I can't think of anything I love to do that other people hate, but maybe I haven't been around enough fellow stitchers. What I HATE to do, but do anyway is backstitching / outlining. Sometimes it really brings a piece together like nothing else can, but it's a pain to do. Especially since I force myself to be careful with the stitching - I don't like crossing more than 2 or 3 stitches if I can help it - I find that long stretches of thread can end up looking messy, but stitching a block or two at a time can help keep it looking very neat. It would probably take me much less time to backstitch (and I might hate it less) if I could allow myself to take big stretches in one stitch, but alas, it is not to be.

7/03/07: Do you consider yourself a "floss miser"? (Submitted by Blonde Librarian)

Not really, but probably because I stitch mostly with DMC which is readily available and fairly inexpensive. I imagine if I stitched with silks or overdyed threads, I might be a little more miserly with my threads. Or not. Part of the joy of stitching is making pretty things, and you need the thread to accomplish your ultimate goal. I try hard not to hoard - there's another skein around the corner.

6/22/07: When you start a new work do you look for something small, do you look for another huge project or do you consider your UFOs? (Submitted by Kathryn)

Usually when I start a new project, it is for a specific reason - wedding, new baby, gift, etc. Rarely do I start something at random for myself, but I think I might do a little more for me, especially since I've been stacking up some charts I really like and want to do for myself. However, I *do* like stitching for other people. I pick charts that are meaningful to their situation and try to personalize whenever I can. I've even combined bits and pieces to make patterns that are one of a kind for that person.

Putting my blog together has made me realize how little I keep for myself, and how many of my pieces have been given away. I'd like to start keeping a few more pieces for my own home, and I will probably start off with a few small things to get a sense of accomplishment. Also, I won't feel as guilty if I rotate things in and out if I didn't spend months laboring over them.

1 comments:

Kathryn said...

You need to go OVER THERE:

http://stitchbitch.blogspot.com/

Not only is a great blog, but she has a banner:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_mzGLBLPHUMw/R08ycxZvCCI/AAAAAAAAAZg/oZW5TgG8WAk/s1600-h/Selfish+Stitching+in+2008.png

There are a lot of stitchers who are starting to realize that they hardly ever stitch for themselves. So 2008 is the year of the "selfish" stitcher. Since most of what I stitched in 2007 was just for me, I need to reverse the trend and stitch for others more.