Saturday, January 8, 2011

Finally Framed!!!

I thought maybe you all deserved a break from all those ornaments! Let's take a little trip down memory lane and a dive into the finished AND framed pile (pitifully small, I know.) I like to show *finished* finished pieces on the blog, but someday I will embarrass myself and post a photo of my finished unfinished pieces. Maybe several photos. Maybe a lot of photos. I have a whole drawer full of pieces patiently waiting to be finished for some form of display.

The Path by Dimensions (kit)
Stitched on 14 ct. Aida with included threads

I don't even know when I actually finished this piece - probably back in 2003-2004 when I first started stitching, and it's been languishing in a drawer ever since. It was one of the first pieces I purchased, a Dimensions kit, and I think it may still actually be available in craft stores. I admit, I almost never look at the Dimensions kits any more. Not much changes with them anyway and they're all sold with some kind of Aida cloth, which I rarely stitch on. (There's one small chart I stitch for the occasional birth record that I like using Aida cloth for a chunkier look).

While we're on the subject of confessions, I will confess that I probably ordered the frame and the mat 2-3 years ago as well, and they sat in the drawer on top of the finished piece. I have no idea why it took so long to get around to framing it, but once I pulled it out and said, "THIS TIME I MEAN IT!!!" (for the fourth or fifth time), the whole thing got framed in about 30 minutes.

You can't tell from the photo - my husband's patient framing saved me - but the stitching is completely off centered. There's an inch or so of fabric on one side, and three on the other. I don't know how it happened, but somehow I started stitching off center and by the time I realized it, I wasn't about to rip out everything and start over. I had already been planning on framing the piece, so I figured I'd just fudge things a little when I got to the framing. Lucky for me, it worked out.

This piece is intended for a friend of mine, one I've known since kindergarten. She lives in Virginia now, so we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like. In fact, it's been about a year and a half now since we've seen each other. Now that we both have children (hers are school age), it complicates travel even more, but I still think the sentiment holds true for us. It's just that sometimes, that path means picking up the phone more often than seeing each other in person.

10 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

It's been a delight to hear from you so often this year!

Erica said...

The Path looks really lovely! I know what you mean about framing! I have an entire drawer and a large box of things waiting to be framed or made into pillows/ornaments! It is so satisfying to finally get something framed!

Kathy A. said...

Isn't it amazing how we talk ourselves out of stuff for ages. I so know how it goes.
You have done a great job framing The Path and I'm sure your friend will like it. What's next?

Lesleyanne said...

A gorgeous piece. Love the sentiment and framing.

Catherine said...

Very sweet piece - it looks great and I'm sure your friend will love it! So true about the phone too!

Lynn said...

It's a beautiful piece and I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with it.
I'm afraid and embarrassed to count my unfinished finishes!

Pointed Stitcher said...

Pretty piece, glad you finally framed it!

Lindsay said...

Lovely piece and your not the only one with a drawer full of finished unfinished projects, I dread to think how many are lurking in mine

Carol said...

I've always loved this saying and it is a beautiful piece for a long-time friend, Jennifer!

Dianne said...

I'm glad you got this sweet piece matted and framed.
Hey, I still get stuff off centered. The design I started for my mom is way off center. I may cut what I stitched off and make a little box cover or something. I try to remember to measure twice, cut once.