Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bent Creek's I Do in Miniature

It's almost like I'm obsessed with ornaments lately, isn't it? I know I've posted quite a few, and there's more to come. Somehow they all just seemed to come together at the end up the year. Mind you, it could have been that pre-Christmas push to get some gifts done, but then again, some of these ornaments were quite overdue, so who knows? Anyway, next up is something I stitched for one of my best friends and her new husband:

Stitched 1 over 1 on Vintage Light Exemplar

I'd like to make a shameless plug for my pal Julie, the recipient of this ornament. Julie's an amazing friend, a wonderful cook, and one of the most fun, generous, big hearted and free spirited people I know. Julie is also a published author, and you can buy her book, The Hard Way, online or at your bookstore of choice. If they don't have it in stock, ask them to get it for you. Oh, and while you're at it... check out her website http://www.julieluongo.com

Julie and I have been friends since grad school, and I don't even want to tell you how long ago that was! She just got married this fall, and having been with her through many ups and downs, highs and lows when it came to relationships, I have to say I am grateful every day that she is now married to someone that loves her and recognizes her for the fantastic, amazing, stupendous, and all around awesome person that she is. And her husband's not too shabby himself. I have a larger piece in the works as a wedding gift for them, but I wanted to give them a small token to tide them over.

This was my inspiration for this ornament. I saved the photo in my idea file, knowing at some point I would come back to it. Scroll down to see the ornament Joan did last year for her daughter and new husband.

My color conversion for this piece is as follows: GAST Dark Chocolate (vines) and Maple Syrup (letter), CC Cupid (heart and initials) and Blacksmith Blue (I Do), and WDW Cognac (leaves) and Whitewash (accents). I also used a silver DMC Metallic for the rings as the actual wedding bands were white gold.

6 comments:

Miss Quoted said...

I did once, and I plan on saying I don't for the future, but I still manage to find this absolutely charming. You did a great job. I have been lurking on your blog for a week or so and I've enjoyed every second of it.

Carol said...

There's nothing wrong with being obsessed with ornaments! If there is, I'm in deep trouble :)

Love your over one finish, Jenn--what a special gift for your friend. I just looked online and we have Julie's book at our library--I'll have to check it out soon!

Michele B. said...

What a lovely gift this is. Is their wedding date perfect or what? I love seeing all your ornaments and I'm hoping you will pull out some of those unfinished finishes to show. The Dimensions piece turned out really nicely. I have an old kit that is still haunting me to be stitched - I feel kind of inspired by seeing yours.

Cindy said...

Beautiful finish, and what a great idea to stitch a wedding sampler as an ornament!

BTW...I did a quick search on Hoffman Distributing for the chart. They still have it listed, so I think that any shop should be able to order it.

julieluongo said...

Aw, thanks! It is awesome. Prettier in person.

I'm not sure if I'm a good cook though ... in the past two weeks I've dried out a pan of enchiladas, waaay over-dressed a salad, made gluey oats, burned some homemade crackers, and made flat, crispy oven pancakes. (Yes, all were served to guests and / or husband.) Oh, and don't forget the burned, over-salted peanut brittle. I'm on a roll ... an overcooked, over salted roll.

Michele said...

oh that is lovely!!!