Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sunday with Stitchers

Probably I should have posted this earlier, but I've been trying to catch up with a few things around here. This past Sunday, I spent a lovely afternoon at the home of Anna and The Dude. I was the first to arrive, so I had them to myself for a little while, which was nice. Then Jenna and her DH arrived, followed by Lee and Rachel. It was pretty funny to introduce yourself by name, only to be met with a polite, but slightly confused smile and an "Ohhhhkay" as the person you were introducing yourself to struggled to make sense of it. But mention your blog name and it was all, "Oh hey! Yeah! It's YOU!!" and big smiles. Hilarious.

BTW, the Dude does not stitch, but mention chess and he lights up. I suggested bringing my DH next time, who does indeed stitch, but also plays chess and laments that fact that he rarely has anyone with whom to play. The word playdate was met with a slight scowl by The Dude, but seemed to quickly disappate at the prospect of having a chess partner. He thought that perhaps he and Jenna's DH should come up with something "manly" to do, but in the end, they were more interested in hanging out with the girls.

I take responsibility for the political discussion, having remarked that it was a nice break from the near constant MSNBC on our television. Not that I don't enjoy it, but sometimes, you do need a break from it. And it was also my first Sunday with little to no football, as Sunday night football had a bye week, though I did get a call almost as soon as I got in the car to come home that our Cowboys had indeed beaten the Tampa Bay Bucs. WOO HOO!!! Almost a sweet as Penn State taking down Ohio State and remaining undefeated. (For those of you that don't know, DH is a 3rd generation Penn Stater and we are huge PSU fans in our house.)

All in all, it was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon, and we're going to definitely have to do it again. It's always awkward the first time you meet up with people you only know over the internet, and a big thanks to Anna for being brave and opening up her very cute house to virtual strangers. And for putting on a super yummy spread, which included some to die for pumpkin bread with a cream cheese spread. I could have eaten a plateful of that, but I tried to be polite.

And on a final note, you absolutely must check out the adorable pillow Rachel made for Anna. I must say that the picture does it no justice as it's just gorgeous in person. Not to mention super coordinated with the gift bag, Anna's outfit and apparently her bedroom as well. As for the other pictures, yes, they were taken. No, you're not going to see them. Anna refuses to be photographed for the internet without sunglasses, and I just refuse to be photographed in general, so Rachel, the only one that brought her camera, promised not to post them publically.

7 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

The pumpkin bread is either Martha Stewart from the big all-inclusive cookbook or Fanny Farmer. I can check but I'm not sure I'll remember. I actually made it in September and froze it. I'm glad you liked it. I've been eating the leftovers for breakfast.

I look forward to getting the chess players together!

Chiloe said...

Lucky you to be able to share some cross stitch fun with internet frieds in real ;-) It must be weird to meet them in person at first. I understand for the pictures: you won't see me either ! lol

Olenka's Stitches said...

You are lucky to have such cross stitch sessions, sounds like you had an enjoyable time with your virtual cross stitch friends.

Michele said...

sounds like you all had a wonderful time .. I enjoyed reading about it first on Anna's blog. So wonderful to finally put names with faces isn't it :)

Daffycat said...

That would be really funny to meet other bloggers..."Yes, hello. I'm It's Daffycat." ROFLOL

Sounds like a wonderful time you had.

Pumpkin said...

You are so lucky to have met up with such wonderful people! I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves :o)

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

And I am keeping that promise! :) It was great to meet you in real life. Did I ever mention that I am from Dallas? Thanks for your kinds words on the pillow. Hope we do it again soon.