Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Changed my Mind

Based on the advice from comments in the previous post, and my quickly losing interest in the gridding process, I've decided NOT to grid the fabric for Paradigm Lost.

After 10 minutes of gridding, I started thinking, "This is ridiculous. I've never gridded before, these are all separate motifs and I should be able to stitch this without a grid." Then I thought, "This isn't like one of those HAED pieces with multiple color changes and edge to edge stitching." And then I thought, "If I have to grid out this HUGE piece of fabric, I may stop stitching forever, and possibly throw myself under a bus." So I stopped gridding, pulled out the single piece of thread I started with, and we're all happier for it.

I had been hesitant about using the red thread all along anyway, as I've seen several complaints about stitchers having a hard time getting rid of the red fibers left behind whenever they've frogged out that thread.

But DH did take the chart to work this morning to photocopy it. IMO, those Long Dog patterns are expensive, and I don't see any point in ruining the original when I can just as easily stitch from a photo copy. Even though I use plastic sleeves for my charts, I have a tendency to fold them up here and there to focus on the section I am working on. Which means I am usually working off a copy if the original is a large chart or printed on cardstock.

I would also like to add that I am grateful for all the advice I've gotten, especially Vonna and Tracy J, both of whom not only commented, but replied to my emails with great advice as well.

12 comments:

Janaina said...

Please don't throw yourself under a bus!!!!!!! We would be lost without your talented hands! =)
Big kiss from sunny Brasil!

Carol R said...

I don't grid ever. I do,however, use Q-snaps and think they're great. I also make a working copy so I can make notes if I wish. Occasionally there will be lotto numbers on there to if they give them out while I have a pencil in my hand!

Julie said...

Can't wait to see a progress pic of this lovely one

Teejay said...

I'm glad you found what works for you; that is the best way to go!

Vonna said...

GRIDDING SUCKS! So I'm glad you didn't do it ;o)

Kathryn said...

I never grid either. I just don't see the point unless you are REALLY skipping around.

Next time you need a new computer printer, get one with a photocopy option. We have an Epson that does black and white or color photocopies. EVERY chart, no matter how small, gets photocopied (and often enlarged with the handy fit image to page option) because I yellow highlight every stitch to keep my place. We also have a cheap B&W Brother printer that prints out all my way, way enlarged Hawaian Mandala sheets.

Good luck with this BAP. When I finish Hawaiian Mandala, I have two Long Dog samplers I want to start (Time and Tide or Beautie Spotte [to be done in Vickie Clayton silks]).

Clara said...

I never grid either. I did entertain the notion once, but I got over it real quick.

Kathy A. said...

Good for you - gridding is a big pain! I have worked my PL without gridding and even if you are off by a stitch there is room for error. I have plugged away at mine for nearly a year. I love it and hope to finish it by years end.

Olenka's Stitches said...

You sound very well prepared for a new project, looking forward to seeing your first WIP.

Kathy said...

Waiting to see your progress.

Glad you decided not to grid. I think you can do a motif at a time and keep things straight without gridding.

I almost always copy my patterns so I have a working copy. Usually by the time I finish something, I would have destoyed the original and I like to keep my originals all nice and neat.

Have fun with this project.

Meari said...

I'm with you! I think I'd totally loose interest if I had to grid fabric. Not my idea of a fun time at all. Just give me a work copy that I can highlight, write on and destroy... and I'm good! :)

Pumpkin said...

Glad to hear that. I can't imagine gridding that large of a piece!