Wednesday, October 15, 2008

8th Annual New Jersey Light House Challenge

Navesink Twin Lights, Highlands, NJ

DH and I will be doing the New Jersey Lighthouse Challenge again. We started doing it the first year we were married, and this is the 5th consecutive year this weekend. According to the challenge site:

The New Jersey Lighthouse Challenge® is a not-for-profit event presented by The New Jersey Lighthouse Society, Inc. for the purpose of raising public awareness of lighthouses in general and New Jersey’s lighthouses, specifically. It is a rain or shine, two-day event held during the 3rd weekend in October when 11 land-based lighthouses are open for visitation and climbing. During this weekend, the public is invited to visit any or all of the sites along the Challenge route.

We always have a great time doing it, and last year, we invited DH's parents to go along with us. They were unsure at first, but ended up having a wonderful time, especially my FIL. They loved all the history and lighthouse information, but since the weather was so spectacular, they enjoyed the scenery as well.

If you're within driving distance to the New Jersey area, I would definitely recommend participating in the challenge. There's no participation fees, no sign ups and no requirements. You don't even have to visit all of the sites on the challenge. Many people visit just a few sites, but the nicest thing about the Challenge weekend is that the lights are open and there are guides and plenty of information, and you have opportunities to learn and explore that aren't always available the rest of the year.

East Point Lighthouse, Maurice River Township, NJ

We've also done challenges in Long Island and Maryland, both of which we missed this year, unfortunately. Last year was our third Triple Crown, meaning we did all three challenges (few people complete all three). This year, we had to pass because of moving and other events going on, but I'd like to get back to doing all three next year. Maybe even add a few more, as other lighthouse societies are taking an interest in challenges and planning their own. If you are interested in the Challenges, check out the various Lighthouse Societies

I'd love to be able to do the Lights Across the Border one, and I'm always looking for a good excuse to head back to Maine, so that may be in our plans at some point.

12 comments:

Teejay said...

Oh how I would love to visit the east coast, I used to have a lighthouse theme for decor because I love them but now they are scattered a bit in my home.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to me, it really lifts my heart to see the kindness that you and others have shown.

Kathy A. said...

That is just too cool for words. Have a wonderful time. I wish I was with you. I love lighthouses and have seen many along the east coast of Canada and the U.S.

Barbara said...

This sounds like so much fun! Take lots of pictures, please!

Julie said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a weekend, hope you have fun

Dianne said...

This is really a neat activity. I think I had my fill of lighthouses when I went to the top of the Absecon one. I would like to do this challenge sometime though!
Have a great time.

caite said...

Well, this will be my first attempt at the challenge, and I am looking forward to it. Rain or shine, but hopefully shine!
I have visited all of them before but haven't been inside East Point or climbed Finn's Point or Tinicum Island. Hopefully I can fix that this weekend.

I have mentioned the challenge a couple of time on my blog, a lovely shore breeze and you page down or look under the tag "lighthouses" and read my posts on Sandy Hook, East Point and Cape May. A bit of prep for the challenge! ;-)

Michele said...

wow! how fun! Aren't lighthouses wonderful :) We have quite a few here in Washington too.

Meari said...

Gosh, I wish I lived there! That sounds like a REALLY great thing to do.

Cricketstitch said...

I've had the opportunity to visit a few of the lighthouses on your list and they are beautiful. I hope your have a wonderful challenge. Please post photos when you return, we would all love to see them. Be safe:)

Pumpkin said...

I am SO jealous right now! DH and I were not able to get to Maine before he leaves :o( I hope you had a wonderful time in NJ. Looks like we're going there for Christmas :o) Gorgeous pics!

J Rae said...

How neat! I have always found lighthouses fascinating. There is one near us. It was closed for a couple of years, but recently reopened. Unfortunately, I haven't been since it reopened. Will have to try and do that!

Patty said...

This sounds like fun! Please swing by Calif and pick me up on the way. I can't wait to hear about it and see the pictures afterwards.