Thursday, September 11, 2008

Doing inventory

I've been sorting out my charts and trying to get them organized. I've also been trying to capture a little more information on my stitched pieces. Before I started blogging, I didn't really keep track of fabrics, fibers, finishing dates, etc., but I've been trying to be more dilligent about recording that stuff. When I stitch, I use plastic page protectors for my charts (or copies of charts), and when I'm done, I file everything in the sleeve and store stitched charts in binders (so I have more room for stash in my stash boxes!) I try to remember to note the modifications I've made, put a date (usually on the color insert for the chart), and in a couple of them, I've even put in the labeled bag the fabric came in.

I've also tried to keep track of these things on my blog as well, and I ran across a piece I did, but don't think I've featured here.

Happy Home by Blue Ribbon Designs
Stitched on 32 ct. Belfast Antique Ivory
with DMC and WDW threads

I stitched this for a long time friend of mine and her husband when they bought their first home. If you look at the original pattern, you'll see that I made some modifications to it. Instead of stitching the alphabet, I stitched in their name and the year they were married (established).

I've gone back and forth on that subject - is a family established when they buy their home or when they get married? I finally decided that it's the year they get married, and I find another way to commemorate the purchase of their first home. In this instance, I stitched the town and state, and the date they purchased the home under the house itself. I think it worked out well this way.

I also framed it myself using a frame from PictureFrames.com. If you haven't used them, I highly recommend them.

14 comments:

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

That is a beautiful finish, Jennifer, thanks for sharing! I've been thinking I should be more organized in my approach, too. I definitely agree that a family is established at marriage and not at purchase of first home. I've been married 5 years and we still don't own a home! Thanks for the rec. on PicturesFrames.com.

I called Strawberry Sampler to reserve a place next Wed. - I am going to take the afternoon off work!

Barbara said...

It's a lovely piece. And a blog is a great place to keep all the details of a project.

I have to say that a family can be established not only before the purchase of a home, but also before a marriage. Niek and I have been together for 8 years, but only married for five of them. We've certainly considered ourselves a family from the beginning. :)

Julie said...

A really lovely finish

Irene said...

A lovely finish and the personalization is great.

Pumpkin said...

I try to keep track of those things as well :o) I figure someday it might come in handy. LOL!

I like your idea about establishing family vs home.

Michele said...

I love your finish! What a nice thing to do for your dear friends :)

tammie said...

wowey you are so organized.. i cant believe it.. i should do something like that wiht my charts.. i used to be organized but its just gone completely awol.. lol i love the picture you did for your friend is very lucky to have a friend like you to stitch something like that for her. my friend has just moved her family so i believe this could be one of my next projects .. lol .. the frame looks great. i used eframers and they are brill. i will try yours one day soon.. thanks for the tip.

Kathy said...

Love your finish. Your idea on personalization is a good one. I might have to borrow it sometime. Using both marriage and new home dates is great.

Meari said...

I agree... a family is established when they get married (at least technically that's how it's supposed to work). You did a nice job on that piece.

CJ said...

Jennifer,

Great finish. Thanks for the link to pictureframes.com, it will come in handy. I have the Sisterhood pattern, I am getting my colrs together. Plan to start her this weekend when hubby is out of town.

CJ

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Great project and I love your blog. I just popped over from CJ(tx)and I will definitely add your blog to my list to watch. Happy Stitching CJ(ok;-)

Wendy said...

Great Sampler and what a lovely gift for your friends!

craftymug said...

That is a beautiful piece of stitch work!

Stitcher said...

This is going on my wish list, it's so beautiful.