Monday, April 14, 2014

Variation on a theme


A few years ago, I stitched Gabrielle Rose by La D Da as a gift for a friend's little girl.  It's pretty, with lovely muted pastel colors and an old fashioned feel.

It's a chart I really like for its simplicty, and it works really well for a little girl when the theme is more of a color scheme than a concrete theme (like butterflies or fuzzy sheep).


Since it's a versatile chart, I knew I would stitch it again, but this time I wanted to do something a little different.  Another friend of mine was having a baby, and they were going all out girly in pinks and greens for the nursery, but in more vivid hues than pastels.  They chose a bedding set from Pottery Barn called Petite Paisley for the nursery. Working from those colors, I went to my LNS and started to pull some brightly colored threads.  The owner thought I might be a little crazy, but I went for it, and it turned out even better than I hoped.  (Excuse the lines in the fabric - I know it will be almost a year, but I haven't framed it yet.  oops)



Gabrielle Rose by La D Da
Stitched 2 over 2 on 32 ct. white evenweave
with my own color selection

While I think the original is quite pretty, I'm also a little in love with the bolder colors! It's not as vibrant as the Pottery Barn bedding, but it still echos the fabrics nicely.  (The bluebirds might be my favorite part!)  The last name on the banner is blurred for privacy, but I used a lighter thread this time and it pops a little more than the grey thread I used the first time around.

If you're interested in the colors, I used GAST Dark Chocolate for the border, Presidential Blue and Fragrant Cloves for the birds, WDW Begonia, Saffron, Crepe Myrtle and Sunset for the flowers, and Meadow for the leaves and stems, CC House Wine for the banner and Magnolia Blossom for the banner lettering and white band on the birds.

Hopefully I will get this framed up soon, and perhaps gifted in its final format before the young miss turns one later this year!  (I've already shown the finished stitching to my friend and she loves it)  The plan is to frame it in a dark wood frame (to coordinate with the dark nursery furniture) so I'll update the blog once I get it framed.

11 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

Very pretty!

Robin said...

I really like it, Jennifer! I love the colors you used for the bluebirds. Way to go!

Robin in Virginia

Vickie said...

They are both such wonderful gifts!

Von said...

Love the brighter colors as well as the more subdued ones. I also like that the design will be appropriate throughout her life. :)

Lee said...

Nice job! It's amazing what a color change can do!

Blu said...

Very pretty. I love the colours you chose.

Carol said...

I love them both--you did a really wonderful job on your thread selection for the newest one. Happy recipients, I'm sure :)

Anna van Schurman said...

FYI neither name is blurred. But both are beautiful.

Marie said...

I love your color selection on the latest Birth Sampler (the Pottery Barn design looks so much like Vera Bradley to me).

I have always liked the simplicity of that birth sampler.

Catherine said...

Love the pop of the brighter colors!

C in DC said...

I did one baby chart I had in 3 different color schemes: the original (soft Williamsburg blues and pinks), one traditional (primary reds and blues), and one modern (bubble gum colors).