Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A sentimental gift

Remember Me by My Big Toe Designs
Stitched 2 over 2 on 32 ct. Fog
With Crescent Colors Blacksmith Blue and Raspberry Parfait
Accented with antique buttons

I spotted this design early in 2011, after my husband's beloved grandmother passed away just days after her 99th birthday. I knew it was something we had to stitch in her honor for his mom. He agreed, and I picked up the chart and threads. I originally wanted to do it in two shades of pink (Grandma's favorite color) but he thought it would be too much pink and chose a darker blue accented by pink.

I picked this raspberry shade of pink for a particular reason. Right after Grandma passed away, I sent out an email to the extended family and cousins to let them know what happened and what the funeral arrangements were. (I stay in regular touch with most of the cousins via email and Facebook and it was my way of helping my MIL, who was feeling overwhelmed at the time.) As the response emails started coming back, I noticed a consistent theme in what people were saying they'd most remember about Grandma - her welcoming kitchen and delicious food, specifically her homemade raspberry jelly. My husband has mentioned this himself numerous times, and it seems he's not the only one it had an impact on. It's a little thing, but I am very sentimental like that, and I think my husband appreciated it as well.

What is obvious in the piece are the antique buttons used in place of some of the specialty stitches. I've mentioned the button collection we inherited from Grandma before, and these are some of the buttons from that collection. Just before he framed it, Mr. Sweet Pea picked out some of his favorites and stitched them onto the piece.

This is another American Frame, with a twist, as it's not the original frame I selected. Right after I placed the order, I got an email saying there was a mistake on the website and the frame I ordered was not in stock. Ugh. I hate it when that happens, but I went back to the drawing board and picked another frame. As it turns out, I like this one better than the first one I chose, and it works beautifully with the furniture in my IL's dining room, where it now hangs. I should also mention that Mr. Sweet Pea used acrylic on this piece (which is why you can see the glare) and some clear spacers to leave enough clearance for the raised buttons.

My MIL absolutely loved the piece and was deeply touched by the time and care her son put into stitching and framing the piece. She says she walks by it every day and it makes her smile to see it.

10 comments:

Kathy A. said...

What an absolutely wonderful piece hon. I love the story behind it - a true heirloom.

Lynn said...

A truly gorgeous tribute to your husband's grandmother! The buttons are a wonderful touch!

Sally said...

Hi

Just found your blog.

I love your finish, such a lovely tribute.

I love the significance of the thread colour you chose and the buttons your husband picked out.

LindataxPA said...

Jenn..........it's a wonderful tribute to someone the whole family loved. Your IL's must be so thrilled to have this joint work of art. The buttons and the raspberry threads - perfect.

Michele said...

what a lovely lovely story and the piece is wonderful!

Catherine said...

Beautiful remembrance!

Carol said...

I love samplers that are so personal, Jenn--you and your husband created a real heirloom with this one :)

Sally said...

What a beautiful tribute Jennifer :)

Dianne said...

It's so lovely and what a personal piece for your mother-in-law. The buttons are so precious.

Felicity said...

Very special