Tuesday, February 28, 2012

An original, commissioned design

A few weeks before Christmas, a friend and I were chatting and she mentioned she'd love to have a "Subversive Cross-stitch" type piece made for her boss and asked if I could design something around a phrase he likes to use. I said sure, no problem!

She wanted the piece to look obviously cross stitched, so I stitched it on Aida fabric and stuck to a very simple DMC color palette. I added the sheep for a little bit of interest / kitsch / reference to his theory that most people are sheep.

The verdict? HE LOVED IT! He thought it was absolutely hilarious and says it makes him laugh every time he looks at it.

And yes, my framing is much better than it appears in the photo. It was straight in the frame, and that's glare on the glass, not a wrinkle in the fabric.

2 comments:

Miss Quoted said...

the right subversive cross stitch to the right person is always AWESOME! I just finished another one. Time to make something serious

Dianne said...

Very clever! I have that book and plan to do something subversive soon.