Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Home By the Sea is finished!

Home By The Sea by Designs by Pamela is finally finished!

Home By the Sea - Designs by Pamela
Stitched over 2 on 32 ct. with recommended threads

I started this back in June while on vacation with the family at the shore, and finished it up last week. It's my housewarming gift to myself and my husband for our first home. I knew as soon as I saw it at last year's Online Needlework Show that I had to stitch this piece - it's perfect for us. I did modify the original to include our family name (blurred for privacy) and the year we were married. The year I stitched it (and the year we bought the house) is stitched into the piece itself. I had debated stitching our house number somewhere on the house, but decided against it.

I plan to have my husband frame it similar to the model with the hooks in the frame so we can hang it by the laundry room door in the kitchen (we come in from the garage through the laundry room, so it's the perfect place for keys and such).

And this piece is extra special to me because my six year old niece helped me stitch a little on it while we were down the shore, and again this fall when we were all at my in-laws for a weekend. She can't do the stitching herself, and she had a hard time with the holes on such a high count fabric, but she did a good job pulling the needle and thread through once I got it in the correct hole for her. (Boy, does THAT slow the stitching down, but it's so worth it.) She asked me, "Aunt Jenn, are you EVER going to finish that?" but she's six. She has a short attention span. I can't wait to show her at Christmas that it's all finished up and just waiting to be framed!

29 comments:

Rachel said...

great job. Congrats on your finish.

Meari said...

Congrats on your finish! It turned out nice. :)

Olenka's Stitches said...

A lovely picture! Congrats!

Sally said...

Beautiful finish Jennifer:)

Lee said...

It looks great Jennifer! And with a lighthouse, too! Perfect for your home.

mainely stitching said...

GORGEOUS finish, and how wonderful that your niece "helped"! :D Yay!

Angela said...

Beautiful, well done on getting it finished.

zoomcity said...

Congratulations, Jennifer. It's fantastic.

Julie said...

Looks wonderful

Dianne said...

How did I miss this? What a great idea-a housewarming gift for yourself. It turned out great and has some 'special touches' to it too.

Vonna said...

Very lovely :o)
Good going you!

Sharon said...

beautiful finish! Congrats!

monique said...

wow, that 's a lot of stitching! It's beautiful :)

Michele said...

Jenn, it's lovely! congrats on the finish! and what cute story about your niece's help :)

Deirdre said...

I LOVE it! You a fabulous job!

Deirdre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolien said...

Mmmm, I would love to live in that house near the sea! It looks lovely.

Have a nice weekend & hugs,'
Carolien

Andrea said...

Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Mel said...

Congratulations!!! Jennifer you won the PIF on my blog - email me at mjblp@mindspring.com with your address so I can get these mailed out to you :) Thanks for playing along! Hugs, Malinda

Lynn said...

Beautiful Jennifer! Congratulations on such a super finish.
I too have been a bad blogger. Work is so busy that for months now I've only had time for reading and not much commenting. Hopefully things will slow down in the new year.
I hope your and your family have a very enjoyable Christmas!

Ranae said...

A gorgeous piece.
Congrats!!

Ruth said...

Absolutely beautiful! I can hardly wait to hear what your niece has to say :)

Dianne said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I remembered it was your birthday and then we got invited to a last minute gathering. Hope you had a nice day!

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a great piece with a wonderful sentiment!

Kathryn said...

I wanted to take this opportunity to say how much I enjoyed reading your blog in 2008. I hope 2009 is even better than you imagined it could be. Best Always, KD

debijeanm said...

Wonderful finish, Jennifer! And when you find that 12-step program for facebook, let me know, please. It's been keeping me from a lot of things, too.

Pumpkin said...

Beautiful finish Jennifer! What a special piece you have now :o)

Kathy said...

Very nice finish. Also such a great memory to go along with it.

Jenna said...

Beautiful finish! You did a great job on this and it's nice to see it all finished up.