Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Sneak Peek at my first finish of 2011

This was my first finish of 2011, done back in early January. Yes, I stitched most of it in late 2010, but I finished the final 1/3 of it or so this year. It's a gift for a friend and I have a frame on order, so I don't want to show the whole thing, but here's a little peek!

I won't reveal the designer just yet...

This piece is a gift for a friend and there's a little story behind it. When I offered to stitched something for her, I could almost SEE her nose wrinkle up right through the phone. After a bit of a pause on her end, I laughed and said I'd send her a few links of what I had in mind. I picked a couple Quaker pieces and several other things and emailed them to her. About 20 minutes after I sent her the first email, she emailed me back and had two or three designs picked out, this being one of them. There were several subsequent emails with links to other designs she liked.

In all, we settled on three different ones - this one, one for her wedding piece and another for her birthday. She even said she had no idea there were so many cool, interesting pieces out there. Her concept of cross stitch was more of a "country goose wearing a blue bow and bonnet" idea. Now, that may float someone else's boat, but definitely not hers. I was happy to show her that's not all there was to it.

Do I think she'll ever take up stitching herself? No. But at least she has a greater appreciation for needlework in general.

6 comments:

GrannySue said...

What a great post. Although I love to embroider and have only recently begun to work on some cross stitching, I never know what the heck to do with the stuff. I end up donating it to the church's craft sale.

Lesleyanne said...

Can't wait to see more. I know people that scrunch their noses up until I showed them some of the things I had done lol.

mainely stitching said...

Ooooh! I love the floss colors - is it an overdye or several colors?

Lynn said...

I think there are quite a few people out there who have that country goose image of stitching. They're quite surprised when shown exactly what stitching encompasses today.
Your design for your friend looks lovely and has piqued my interest with those colours. I can't wait to see the finished work!

Carolyn NC said...

How sweet!

Jenna said...

Ooooh, the sneak preview looks pretty! I like the overdyed you used. Isn't it great to find a non-stitcher who appreciates your work?