Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I know how this looks...

Safe Passage by Bucilla
Stitched on 14 ct. Aida with included threads

I know what you're thinking.

These people are nuts. How much lighthouse stuff can two people possibly collect?

Would you believe me if I said, "Not that much, actually?" Or at least it's not blindingly obvious the second you walk in our door.

Sure, if you poke around long enough or dig through the stash under the guest bed, or visit us at Christmas and happen to notice that a good 30% of our ornaments are lighthouses or of a nautical theme, you might come to the conclusion that we have a *interest* in lighthouses (to be polite about it). But I've worked hard at not covering every available surface with lighthouse stuff, and we limit ourselves to things we're really in love with, which cuts down on the impulse purchases. Just because something is a lighthouse, has a lighthouse on it or is somewhat reminiscent of a lighthouse doesn't mean we need to own it. (We won't talk about the camera bag that I HAD TO HAVE because it was covered in lighthouses. Or the fact that it wasn't actually a camera bag, but rather a canvas purse. And yes, I did retire it in favor of an actual plain black padded camera bag).

For the most part, our displays of lighthouses are restrained and spread out around the house. Except in Little Dude's room, where there's a concentration of photos of lighthouses from around the world. Nevermind that. He LIKES them. And he's going to like this piece too, because that's where it's going. Yeah, that's right. It's another lighthouse on our walls. (also, he's not even two years old, so it's not like he gets a say in how his room is decorated)

It's also another of my husband's earlier pieces that I dug out and framed - easy pickins as the 5x7 standard size is a quick one to do up. You may be noticing a trend in black frames - I am, too. I hope I don't find it necessary to scale that back, and I hope I still love how it looks years from now because we have a LOT of black frames in our house. Eh, black is always in style.

9 comments:

carolm said...

I love your lighthouses. Have you done the postage stamp one that has several of the lighthouses. Carolm

Lesleyanne said...

A gorgeous finish. I love your black frame it really makes the colours "pop". How do you do your framing?

valerie said...

Beautiful framing! It looks great!

Kathy A. said...

Love this one too. There is no such thing as too many lighthouses. My lighthouse bathroom has now become overwhelmed. I've decided to do a nautical themed spare bedroom and move them there to give them more room to be showcased. What do you think?

Catherine said...

Looks great! And if you like something, can you really have too much?

Pumpuliina pistelee said...

Your lighthouse stitching looks great.
I'm happy to visit your blog for the first time.
My mom also collects lighthouses so I've been often stitching them to her.

Have a nice day
Niina

Barb said...

I love the lighthouse. Great job on it. I'm a big fan of lighthouses too.

Jenna said...

I have this very kit! I have it pulled out into my more immediate stitching to do pile so that I can stitch it up as a Christmas gift for my dad. It's nice to see it finished!

Jenna said...

I just tried to post a comment, did it go through?