Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another gift for a not so far away friend

Let's take a break from lighthouses for a moment, shall we? Oh, I know! Back to the ornaments. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Prairie Schooler Prairie Birds (Book 24) - Cardinals
Stitched 1 over 1 on 32 ct. mystery fabric
with recommended DMC threads

I stitched and finished this little ornament for my lovely friend, Dianne (Dianne Rambling On). I met Dianne when I started blogging and she has been a great friend to me both online and in person. We chat and share links on Facebook, email regularly, and have even met up in person in Ocean City, MD, over the summer. Jeff, Nick and I had a very nice lunch with Dianne, her husband and son, and Dianne and I had even MORE fun browsing in Salty Yarns on the Boardwalk.

Dianne is a wonderful combination of mom / big sister / favorite aunt and we can talk about so many things. She's also a mom, though her son is considerably older than mine (by 20 some years!). She's been a good resource for parenting advice and I am constantly inspired by her creativity and touched by her generosity.

When I admired a goldfinch piece from this Prairie Schooler book, Dianne generously loaned me her copy so I could stitch one up for my husband, who happens to really like goldfinches. I haven't quite managed to stitch his up, but I did stitch this piece for Dianne. Dianne is a nature lover and posts many pictures of her beautiful gardens. I know she appreciate the beauty of the bright colored cardinals in the barren winter as much as she loves the colorful spring and summer flowers, so I thought this piece would be perfect for her.

I stitched it a few months ago when I was on an over 1 stitching kit, and I just love how it turned out. It's really much prettier and more delicate in person, and for some reason, my finishing looks a little lumpier in the photo than it does in real life. But overall, I was pleased with how it came out.

Little did I know when I was stitching it that Dianne had already stitched and finished this piece for herself! (You can see it near the middle of the tree here.) But Dianne assured me that she loved it and thought it was cool that she had two, since mine is much smaller than hers. I like to think that I did a good job picking something she'd like!

11 comments:

Alberta said...

I love the naturalness of this piece - beautiful!

Michele B. said...

This looks wonderful stitched over 1 - it's so dainty. What a neat coincidence that Dianne stitched it too - great minds stitch alike!

Catherine said...

Love it! Had two pairs of cardinals like this outside my window this morning!

Brigitte said...

I love lighthouses and I'm never bored when I see them on other stitchers' blogs.
The PS cardinals are so lovely.

Dianne said...

I'm so touched by your post-thanks Jenn. And I love the 1 over 1 TPS ornament which will hold a special spot on my feather tree every year from now on and remind me of you!

I have the sock monkey ornament and what I need for it neatly in a pile to complete-but things this past month were not what I expected, to say the least. I was, as a matter of fact, going to work on it today and my sinuses were not nice. I do feel a ton better, so I'll be working on it because I'm excited to be able to give it to Sweet Nick : )

Lynn said...

I love cardinals too and I think this was the perfect ornament for your friend.
I also like the lighthouse stitch done by your DH. It's nice that Nick likes the same things his Mom and Dad are interested in. A chip off the old block!

Sally said...

A gorgeous finish.

Carolyn NC said...

Lovely job!

Natalija said...

It looks really nice. Great job!

Pointed Stitcher said...

Beautiful ornament you stitched for your friend

Pumpuliina pistelee said...

Hey Jennifer!

Thanks for visiting my blog:)
I hope you understood something since it's mostly finnish. I do try to update in english also.

That bird- ornament is really pretty.

Niina