Monday, February 28, 2011

Good friends

I swear, I know the nicest people. Last week, we got a lovely package from my friend Dianne (Dianne Rambling On). Dianne's a jack of all trades when it comes to crafting and has done some lovely collage pieces, one of which she gifted to us.

Why yes, that IS a lighthouse! (And I do wish I was there!)

Dianne made this pretty little piece which is now on display in our living room. I love how the design is layered and textured - the "sand" in the lower corner is actually teeny tiny little gold beads. Very cool!

Dianne also gifted us with this piece for Nick, appropriately named Nickademus, Raise the Roof Design's contribution to the 2010 JCS Ornament issue. Dianne and I were chatting and she said she had stitched this piece up. When I mentioned it was on my list to stitch for Nick, she asked if she could finish it as an ornament for him.

Now, I am a sucker for anything sentimental, so of course I said yes! I love when something has a meaning or a story or something behind it, and in years to come when we hang our ornaments on the tree, this one will always bring Dianne to mind. I'd like to teach my son about sharing his talents with other people, and also, how things don't always have to be sleek and shiny and mass produced to be special and valuable, how things that are made and given from the heart have great value.

I see kids with their video games and their computers and their cellphones and their toys that light up and blink and do all kinds of things and I wonder how much of an appreciation they have for things that don't need batteries or a power cord. I wonder how many kids would appreciate the time and effort it took someone to make something like this for them, and I want my kid to be the one that says, "Thanks! That was really cool that you would do that for me." And sometimes I worry that I'm going to be that weirdo mom that *isn't* constantly chasing after the newest, shiniest toy or that my kid is going to be that weirdo kid, the one that can entertain himself for hours with a pile of blocks or crayons or other simple toys. And then I think maybe I don't really care if we are those "weirdos".

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get off on a tangent about these things, but sometimes I think we can all use a reminder that happiness doesn't always come from a box on a store shelf.

5 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Dianne does have a heart of gold. What wonderful gifts! :D

Lynn said...

Dianne is a very talented lady! She's made some wonderful gifts. I prefer these kinds of gifts too and hope that I've instilled these values into my own sons.

Dianne said...

It was my pleasure and knowing the ornament was going to Nick made it so much fun to finish. I had made you the lighthouse piece so long ago and then got sick-grrrr. I was so happy to send you two things!
Yes, always teach Nick that homemade is better. I think you and I have gifted all our family and pals with stitched gifts. I remember doing a Mickey and Minnie for a baby shower gift back in 1985as a gift to my nephew (big Disney lovers). That hung in their house forever!
Sean and I made so many things from paper to painting wooden plaques. I secretly wished that he would take graphics in college as his posters for school for exceptional! A few of his teachers asked to keep what he made.
Barbara and Lynn make me blush.

Von said...

We're all in agreement, Dianne's quite the talented crafter and most generous of friends. :)

Pumpuliina pistelee said...

Hello Jennifer!

That is so sweet for your friend to stitch gifts like that. I don't have kids myself but sometimes I do think same things. I used to love Barbie dolls (and still do!) when I was a child and I had a big collection of them. But kids today they are on facebook when they are 10 years old and they have mobile phones and watch very violent children programmes. It makes me very worried sometimes. Good to know that I am not the only one.

Happy stitching
Niina