Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Who has two thumbs and won't be stitching any more Stoney Creek?

This girl!

Mind you, a finished Stoney Creek is a thing of beauty (and a joy forever), but I will just enjoy looking at them from now on. In fact, I've deleted all the Stoney Creek charts from my wish list. What prompted this oh so bold move? This bad boy... The Selkirk Lighthouse in NY.


This was my contribution to Kathy's Lighthouse Round Robin, which you can read more about on her blog. This piece was years in the making and Kathy is relieved to have it home, and rightfully so.

The pictures are impressive, but I'll tell you, it's nothing like seeing it in person. It will be a genuine treasure when it's completed and framed. Of course, if a piece of stitching could talk, I'm sure this one would have some not so nice things to repeat from the stitchers who worked on it. LOL According to Kathy, I wasn't the only one that may or may not have repeatedly cursed, grumbled, mumbled and cursed a little more while stitching it. The color changes are a bear, but the result is undeniably worth it.

Kathy did warn me that it was going to be a major undertaking, and I thought... "Really, how hard could it be?" Kathy, you were right. Also, I bow to your mighty power to command the respect and friendship of multiple stitchers - truly you are well loved by your fellow stitchers. I can't wait to see it finished and framed!

I was the last stitcher (besides Kathy herself) to complete a lighthouse, and lo and behold, in the remaining charts, was the Selkirk Lighthouse, a lighthouse I have visited myself. To be honest, it's hard to find a chart of a lighthouse in the US I *haven't* been to, though. As many of you know, DH and I are deeply interested in lighthouses and yes, have planned vacations around visiting them. One of these vacations was a spur of the moment road trip to the Great Lakes over a 4th of July weekend a few years ago. We started in upstate NY and worked our way around Lake Ontario and Lake Erie to just over the border in Ohio. Selkirk happened to be one of the very first lighthouses we stopped at.


One of the most unique things about this lighthouse is the "birdcage" lantern. It's one of four remaining birdcage lanterns in the US and dates back to the early 19th century.

When we were at the lighthouse in 2007, it was for sale (along with the adjacent marina). Apparently it is now once again open to the public and available for rent by the Salmon River Marina.

9 comments:

Rachel S said...

Stoney Creeks are wonderful, but they are a PITA. I have the Light of Christmas charts in my cart, but I ask myself do I *really* feel like stitching them, let alone on black. If it weren't for DH, I wouldn't even entertain the idea. Your finish is gorgeous!

Lesleyanne said...

Congratulations on your finish. It is lovely.

Meari said...

I agree, SC's are a pain to work with but they look so nice. It's cool that you visited a lighthouse you stitched!

Catherine said...

Beautiful! I have no desire to stitch a SC pattern, but I can appreciate the work that goes in to them!

Erin said...

Lovely work! I have a Stoney Creek pattern started myself, two fox cubs from the "Babes in the Woods" booklet. It is to be a birth announcement piece for a friend's daughter....who will be 2 in March. Hmmm.

Lynn said...

I gave up on my one and only Stoney Creek stitch so kudos to you for completing yours! You've done an amazing job and I know how thrilled Kathy is with it.

Carol said...

I only stitched one Stoney Creek and that was enough for me, too! But, your lighthouse looks incredible, Jenn--good for you for sticking with it :)

Pointed Stitcher said...

Stoney Creek patterns are VERY intense but you did a beautiful job. The whole Lighthouse piece is gorgeous.

Kathy A. said...

Oh, hon, I laughed and laughed when I saw the post about your Selkirk Lighthouse. It is so beautifully stitched and a treasured addition to my RR. I have stitched away on it some more but it is resting while I do some catch up stitching.