Wednesday, February 25, 2009

PIF #1 made it safely to Ireland

I've been a little behind on my blog, and of course, I am going to blame it on Facebook. I have a few stitchy posts coming up, though - I have been stitching. Most of it has been secret stitching, and now that a few pieces have been received, I can share them on my blog.

First up is my first PIF gift for Michelle. Michelle was the first one to sign up for my PIF and I had a wonderful time putting together this package for her. I picked over her blog very carefully and discovered that her favorite color was purple and she loved butterflies, so I had a good idea to work with. These are the front and back pieces of the biscornu before they were stitched together. And no, that's not a stain on the fabric - it's some weird little spot that shows up occasionally on my camera lens.



Butterfly Freebie from Tantes Zolder, stitched over 1 on 25 ct. opalescent fabric with Belle Soie Silk in Elegant Eggplant.
The second block is of my own design, stitched on the same fabric with Belle Soie and DMC

NOTE: The above link has been updated March 2013 to a new site as it
 appears that the Tantes Zolder site is not functional

Now, I must confess that I had the pieces of the biscornu stitched up well before Christmas, but got sidetracked when it came to putting it together. Okay, okay, and I might as well ALSO confess that I didn't actually put it together myself - my DH was kind enough to stitch it together for me. What can I say? He's a scientist and loves these fiddly, meticulous projects. (Maybe "loves" is a bit strong, considering the dirty looks and occasional grumblings I got while he was stitching together my over one backstitching...). But he did stitch it together for me, then I did the button on the bottom. I didn't want to put a button on the top through the design in the middle of the butterflies, so I attached the button using the same silk and stitching through the design already in place.

Here it is all stitched up:



And now for the rest of the goodies I sent to Michelle.

I included some fabrics and flosses (2 of my own making), a few floss tag rings, drink mix and gum, a pretty soap, ribbon, a notepad, and probably my favorite goodie - a fold up shopping tote from Target. I love, love, love these reusable shopping bags, and have amassed quite a collection for my groceries, but I love this little one that folds up into the size of a wallet and tucks away in my purse. It's very cute, and quite handy too, especially for little things here and there that don't really warrant a shopping bag.
Michelle was quite pleased with her PIF and I am so glad she liked it. I had such a good time with this PIF and I am really happy with how the biscornu turned out. Now, on to my other two PIFs!

28 comments:

mainely stitching said...

That is such a gorgeous biscornu. And tell your DH to loook out - I'm sending the next one I stitch to him for assembly! I swear I have 10 fingers too many whenever I try to put one of those things together! ;)

Laurie said...

Love the butterfly biscornu! Great job on designing your own back too!Michelle is very lucky! Do you sell your hand dyed floss?

Michele said...

love love the this PIF!!! I'm like Barbara about sewing them together, I'm all thumbs and way too many of them .. I think your DH better watch the mail! lol

Kim B said...

Lucky Michelle!!!

Kathy A. said...

What a great PIF you put together. Your biscornu is lovely and DH stitched it just right. They are indeed frustrating to put together.

C in DC said...

A beautiful biscournu! The butterflies really pop out in the design.

Facebook - the root of all evil. I've discovered that I can stitch or I can play in FB but I can't do both in one evening. My blog's almost completely MIA at this point.

Sharon said...

What A fabulous biscornu and a great pif! Lucky Michelle!

Irene said...

Lovely biscornu !

Christine said...

The biscornu is just lovely! So many of the Tantes Zolder designs are just perfect for biscornu.

Suzanne said...

Beautiful biscornu. What a very handy DH you have, he did such a wonderful job!

Brigitte said...

Wow, your biscornu looks fantastic, both sides of it. The assembly is always the point when I put my stitched projects aside and there they stay without being finished. It seem I need a finisher. Maybe I can show my DH the how-to ... Your DH was doing really great!

Patty said...

I love that butterfly design and the biscornu looks fantastic! Now, pardon me while I go back to Facebook.

CindyMae said...

Beautiful stitching!!! I just love the Biscornu as well! Great job and great goodies!!

Ranae said...

beautiful biscornu!
Your DH did a fabulous job

Meari said...

You did a great job on the biscornu! Kudos to you.

Pumpkin said...

Jennifer, that biscornu is just simple gorgeous!!!! I love that design and it worked so well along with your own :o) No wonder Michelle was happy with her PIF gifts!

Angela said...

The biscornu is lovely as are all the other things you included.

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Great stitching, Jennifer! I tagged you at my blog....

Cindy said...

That biscornu is absolutely beautiful! And, lucky you that your husband will sew it together for you :)

Carolyn NC said...

What a beautiful biscornu and great goodies you sent to Michelle!

Clara said...

I love your butterfly biscornu! It is really cool to see how other interpret the same design. I had a lot of fun doing mine. It was also one over one. I did the same design several months ago on 14-count aida with variegated floss and really liked how that turned out as well.

Irishenchantment said...

hi jennifer thanks again some of the things have already been put to use (or stolen lol)

shel x

Craft-i-leigh said...

I am new to the world of stitching and have been browsing various blogs to try and gain some knowledge and get some tips / ideas. I originally started with a stamped, then counted “kits”. I’m working on my 2nd chart and have noticed some big differences in floss types and quality.
Everytime I think I'm ready to start something new, I come across another something new on someone's blog that I also want to try. Could get myself into DEEP trouble. LOL. Nowhere near ready for most of the projects. :)
My Cross Stitch Mentor has told me that I’m ready to graduate from Aida, but I really like Aida. Maybe it’s just beginner’s comfort???
If you would answer my question… What type of fabric or fabrics do you prefer and why? Brands and counts?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Lynn said...

I love the Biscornu! I've done this piece but never thought of finishing it this way. It looks fantastic! I've yet to brave trying one of these myself.

Dianne said...

Gorgeous! I keep forgetting to visit blogs when I see you on FB.
I do need to make a Biscornu one of these days.

Wendy said...

Your biscornu looks great and hubby did a magnificent job of sewing it together. Does he realize that we will now all be sending him our biscornu pieces for assembly? LOL!

Abi said...

You did an awesome job! Congratulations!

stitcherydoo said...

Your biscornus are absolutely beautiful! Your design is so pretty!