Monday, February 23, 2009

Winter Round of the Fair & Square Exchange

Renee K. let me know last week that she received the squares I stitched up for her.


Waxing Moon Designs Winter Cardinal
Stitched over 2 on 32 ct. Mushroom evenweave with DMC and Kreinik Threads

She mentioned in her wish list that she liked birds and I thought this one would be perfect for her. I used the recommended DMC colors, but gave it a little bit of sparkle with some blending filament in the snowflakes (it's a little hard to see, but trust me, it's there!) I also use a tiny little hematite colored bead (an iridescent black color) for the eyes, which I thought was really cool - they actually look like tiny little bird's eyes!

The green thread I used is actually a green I dyed myself. I was fooling around with using colors other than white and beige when I was dying threads a while back, and dunked a skein of green in a dark green dye, then twisted it up for an overdyed look. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out and will definitely experiment more with different colors of threads.

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Beautiful squares. I love the all birds by Waxing Moon Designs.

Daffycat said...

Your squares are wonderful! I especially love your personalized square.

Kim B said...

What pretty squares! I love the detail of the beads. And I love the font you used for the personalized square.

Kathy A. said...

What a sweet little square. The beaded eye is such a nice touch. Very nice that you personalized your squares.

Brigitte said...

Very nice squares. I love the bird series by Waxing Moon Designs.

Pumpkin said...

Beautiful job Jennifer! The cardinals are perfect for this time of year :o)

Teresa said...

The squares you stitched are beautiful. You do such a lovely job on the thread!

Stephanie said...

Oh, definitely like these squares - the red is great. I have such a weakness for all winter designs, and yet I hate actual winter!

Meari said...

Both squares look beautiful!