Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ornament Finishing Binge

So I've been on an ornament finishing binge, and yes, my tree is still up, though I am forbidden to light it because it's in the front window and my DH doesn't want the neighbors to think we're weirdos. The reason I am leaving it up because nobody has ever really seen our tree. DH and I travel to the family - nobody comes here over the holidays, and so nobody has been able to enjoy our tree but us. I have a friend coming to visit (it was supposed to be this upcoming weekend, but we moved it to the following weekend), so we agreed to leave the tree up so that at least someone else could admire it.

Back to the ornaments I have been finishing. First up is the ornament I made from the squares that Claire G. sent me for the Christmas Round of the F&S Exchange.


I am not sure who the designer is - you'll have to check with Claire (and it's a good excuse to go over and visit her blog!) I originally bought a finishing form for it, but it ended up being smaller than I wanted, so I did it my own way, whipstitching the edges together with beads, and using a piece of cardboard on the inside to give it a little weight. I think it's just adorable, and while you can't see it in this picture, the sparkle of the beads around the edges really sets it off. (Photo is partially blurred for privacy)

And this little snowman is joined by two buddies on an ornament I stitched up in 2007 and just got around to finishing up this past weekend. (I know, I know)

JCS 2007 Ornament Issue
Winter Love by Sam Sarah Designs
stitched over 2 on 25 ct. linen with DMC threads

I used the same finishing technique as I did on the one above - whipstitching and cardboard. I originally intended to make a little pillow like they did in the magazine, but I thought it looked nicer a little flatter. On the back, I used the same fabric and stitched our name and 2007 in red thread, and used red seed beads for the edges. I also didn't use the recommended buttons - stitching in the hearts instead and skipping the cardinal button altogether. This was my first JCS ornament finish, and pretty much the reason I picked up the magazine in the first place.

And the cute little snowflake? One of many crocheted by DH's grandma. Our tree is covered in them, and it actually looks bare without them.

9 comments:

Daffycat said...

Wonderful ornaments, Jennifer! I love how you've used beads to trim the edges!

Kathy A. said...

You've done a wonderful job on those ornaments. They are so cute together.

Lynn said...

Great finishing Jennifer! I still haven't got around to finishing any of mine yet.

Brigitte said...

Your new ornaments look very nice. I also love crocheted snowflakes but have never made one myself. I should try my hands on them one day.

Angela said...

Great ornament and what a lovely way to edge them.

staci said...

Congrats on all the cute ornie finishes!!!

Ranae said...

super nice finishes.

Pumpkin said...

You ARE on a roll!!!! LOL! Beautiful finishing Jennifer :o)

Carolien said...

O my, you have been busy! I LOVE the snowmen.

Bye! Carolien