Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Home Ornament

Since DH and I bought our first house in June, I wanted to make a special ornament for our tree, and this is what I came up with:

JCS 2007 Ornament Issue - Deck the Halls by Julia Lucas Designs
stitched over 2 on 32 ct. fabric with DMC and specialty threads

I know - it barely looks like the version in the magazine, which is very nice, but I really wanted to personalize this piece. The most obvious change is changing the door from green to red, and yes, I really did take my DMC color card to my front door so I could get an exact color match. Same goes for the bricks. God only knows what the neighbors thought about the crazy lady holding stuff up to various areas of her house. I also added a brass kickplate and house numbers and left off the wreath treasure.

Oh, and the bushes are a little bigger because I screwed up a little and started them higher than they should have been, so I had to make some adjustments. (Not to mention there are no bushes beside our actual front door, but I consider it creative license). And while I was at it, I changed the Welcome to our name (blurred for privacy), and added our new town and the date at the bottom. Then I laced it and a pretty piece of red fabric with gold swirls onto pieces of cardboard, stitched the two halves together, and gussied the whole thing up with some lovely store bought cording.

And as long as I am on the subject, I'd like to address Julia Lucas Design's contribution to this year's Ornament Issue. At first glance, I thought it was a misprint and they put last year's ornament in again, but upon closer inspection, I discovered that this year's ornament was a window, not a door. Which looks an awful lot like the door from the 2007 issue. I'm just sayin....

14 comments:

Annie said...

That looks beautiful. I love how you 'made it your own' (I watch too much American Idol!)

Kathy A. said...

That is just gorgeous. I think that is as close to designing your own as you can get! Nice job.

Kendra said...

Looks great!

I stitched this for my hubby's 2008 ornament, although I didn't think about changing up the colors to make it more personal (duh). I did substitute a JABC wreath button for the tresure (I thought the treasure was ugly) and like you did, I didn't stitch the little trail of snow under the door. But what I find really interesting is that our finishing methods are completely identical! :-)

Ranae said...

another fabulous ornament

Lee said...

I love it! Nice job, Jennifer.

Pumpkin said...

You're a finishing machine!

I love the way you personalized this one :o)

Angela said...

It looks really nice and the changes you made make it very personal to you.

Kathryn said...

Very, very nice and a wonderful ornament to remember the first year in your new house.

I really almost like so many JCS ornaments, but not every part of them. I've decided that since they are so small I'm not going to worry about what the pattern (or fabric or threads) SHOULD be, but just stitch what I want. I did that with my last two ornaments and like them much better my way.

Olenka's Stitches said...

You were very creative in making your special ornament. It looks great!

Dianne said...

I love how you personalized this-what a great heirloom piece. I made my late mother-in-law a wooden plaque of a door in the colors of their real door too. It turned out nice.

Mel said...

Love how you personalized your ornament! All your ornies are coming just beautiful; it looks like you're on a roll! (it must be an ornmanet year; I've already stitching 5 this year; 2 of which were for exchanges so I guess they don't count!) Looking forward to see more! Happy stitching - Malinda

Rachel S said...

That looks great, and I like your version of it. I also think that that window looks just like the door.

Kathy said...

Very nicely done ornament. Great idea to personalize for yourselves. You are doing great making the ornaments.

Jenna said...

It's beautiful and I like that you personalized it so much. Definitely a keeper!