Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It's a jungle out there, baby!

So apparently jungle themes are pretty popular for nurseries these days. Given the outrageous price of bedding and accessories, I can see the attraction in picking a gender neutral theme that would be good for more than one child.

I am currently working on my third jungle themed birth record, Jungle Babies. I started it in June while on vacation and the relative simplicity of the pattern brought back a lot of my stitching joy, which had taken a beating with a recent Stoney Creek Lighthouse. Don't get me wrong - the lighthouse is utterly amazing (I'll show you in another post), but it showed me that I am not a Stoney Creek type stitcher.

Back to the birth record. Here is is before I started the backstitching, which is in progress now.

Cute, isn't it? It's a gift for a friend's little boy. In fact, I happened to be sitting down the shore, stitching away, while she was hundreds of miles away in labor for a day and a half with the little guy. So far, I have 3 of the 4 animals backstitched, and I need to get moving so I can finish it up. I try to backstitch at least 1-2 lengths of thread a day, but it's hard when there's a couple other projects I'm also working on, one of which involves a variegated thread that is really something to see. (I know. I am teasing you.)

And these are the other two jungle themed pieces I've stitched over the last few years.

This is from a Janlynn kit called On Safari, and was the first time I stitched with floss on plastic canvas. I love the way it came out, but again, the backstitching was tough. The piece was originally intended to be a collage-like photo frame, but I printed the birth info on vellum and framed it behind the stitched piece, with a photo of the recipient in the middle. If you are interested in this piece, I have it listed on my For Sale or Trade blog.


This was another jungle themed piece I stitched, Safari Birth Sampler by Mary Stickley for The Coleshill Collection. As you can see, the recipient of this one just turned 2, and it's still hanging in his room. It's simpler than the other jungle piece I stitched, and I really enjoyed stitching this one. I substituted the fabric (the chart came kitted with Aida fabric and probably Anchor thread, as I ordered it from England)

Once again, I had to play around with the chart to fit in everything I wanted to get on there. (You can see how it's originally charted here). Since it was a relatively quick stitch, easy to personalize and very cute for jungle themes, this one will be remaining in my stash for a while. But if you'd like to order your own, I'd recommend Sew and So from the UK if they still carry the piece.

12 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

All three are gorgeous. I have done three birth samplers in the last couple of years, nothing like this though.

Sally said...

Wonderful jungle themed finishes. They are so cute.

Lana said...

I loved your post! I have been looking through my old magazines for baby samplers for my baby (due in March) and the one I decided on has a safari theme (so, basically jungle animals too!!) Great minds think alike! Great stitching!!

Carol said...

I can almost hear the monkeys and elephants from here, Jennifer! All three are so cute; I especially love the flamingos in the last one.

Lucky friends to have you stitch birth records for their little ones! I'm sure they all loved them :)

Lynn said...

All three pieces are wonderful but my favourite is the one you're currently stitching. It's adorable!
I bet all of your friends were thrilled with their samplers.

mainely stitching said...

Those are adorable projects!

Elaine said...

Three great pieces but I just love the latest one. The animals are just adorable!

Brigitte said...

I love this jungle theme. Your three jungle projects are adorable.

Blu said...

They're all lovely projects!

Sandy said...

My oldest daughter's nursery theme was jungle animals in 1994 also. It was a gender neutral theme with greens and yellows, and I loved it! Looks like everything comes back into fashion eventually :) Everything looks amazing as usual!

Carolyn NC said...

Love these!

Michele B. said...

Aren't jungle themes just the best for babies? No wonder so many small children love animals - their rooms are filled with them. Your gifts must be treasured. So when do we get to see the variagated project?