Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Housewarming gift for a friend

I Do by Bent Creek
Stitched 2 over 2 on Cream Sienna Linen
with recommended threads

I just got word that the package arrived, so I can share this with you. This is something I stitched up for my friend and her husband, who just finished building their home in Ohio. They've moved around a bit during their marriage, from PA to Montana, to New York to Ohio, but this is the first time they've moved AND built the house and the process was more than a little stressful. I wanted to send something pretty for them to hang in the new place, and this seemed to fit the bill.

It's the second time I've stitched this piece - I also did it as a wedding gift for another friend - and it won't be the last. It's a fairly quick stitch and frames up nicely. Last time I stitched it though, a regular 8x10 frame and a 5x7 mat worked fine. This time, however, the 5x7 mat didn't work quite as well, perhaps because of a difference in the fabrics I used. They were both 32 ct, though, so who knows? Anyway, the mat didn't look quite as nice, so I came up with what I thought was an INGENIOUS solution - ordering a custom cut mat to fit in an 8x10 frame that I had already purchased.

I had to do a little fuzzy math and work out the measurements so the mat would still fit in the 8x10 frame. I obsess about this part, measuring and remeasuring, making my husband measure it, then going back and remeasuring a day or two later. Don't ask. I know it's noticeable in the picture but you can't really tell in person that the mat has slightly different dimensions on the sides and top. If you weren't looking for it, you'd never know, and if you did happen to notice it, you'd have the good manners not to say anything about it. :-)

Next time I stitch it though, I am totally going to do this. (Scroll down to see the ornament Joan made for her daughter and new husband)

14 comments:

LindataxPA said...

Jenn - This is such a nice piece - congrats to your friends on their new home build. I like your color choice for the mat - how clever to make the piece come together with the custom fit mat. I did this for DS too and it was a fun stitch.

I liked Joan's idea of making an ornament sized piece. We get so many good ideas from other stitchers, don't we?

Linda B

Deborah said...

What a lovely gift for your freind.

Blu said...

It's a beautiful finish. Your friends will love it.

Erin said...

That looks really nice! I like the ornament idea, too, although stitching over-one is a bit of a chore for me.

Sally said...

That is a gorgeous piece for your friends Jennifer. Love the ornament idea. Can't wait to see yours :)

Meari said...

It turned out beautifully, Jennifer. I think the mat is fine. Nowhere does it say that all sides of a mat need to be the same size. :)

Elaine said...

Your finish is beautiful and I love the ornamnent idea.

Lynn said...

Your finish is lovely Jennifer and I would never have noticed the difference with the mat if you hadn't told me. I think it looks great!
I do like the idea of doing an ornament finish too. This is more my style since I don't do any framing of my own.

Carol said...

How lucky your friend is to receive such a beautifully stitched (and framed) piece! It looks absolutely perfect!

Brigitte said...

That's a wonderful gift for your friend.

Marie-P said...

Beautiful gift and so very thoughtful.

Jewel said...

Where can I buy this pattern? I'd love to do this as a wedding gift!

Jennifer said...

Jewel - I'm not sure the pattern is available at any ONS. It appears to be out of print. You might want to check with your LNS and see if they might be able to track down a copy.

Jennifer said...

It looks like you can purchase the chart at Village Needlework: http://www.villageneedlework.com/mall/more.php?ProdID=3585