Wednesday, April 29, 2009

5th Anniversary Gift for my Husband

Always and Forever by Little House Needleworks (LHNPC-18)
Stitched 2 over 2 on China Pearl Jobelan with Dinky Dyes Silk in Midnight

DH and I celebrated our 5th Anniversary a few weeks ago. I've had this stitched up for a while, but I never know if he reads my blog or not, so I thought it best to keep it under wraps. I've seen this design on a few blogs and decided it would be just perfect, so I picked it up and selected my fabric and thread colors based on our wedding colors of blue and silver (of course they were blue and silver. We ARE Cowboys fans, after all!)

I picked a pale grey for the fabric and the most delicious Dinky Dyes silk. It's the first time I stitched with the Dinky Dyes, but it won't be the last. I don't generally stitch with silk because it can get expensive, but for an anniversary gift, I wanted to do something special. The Dinky Dyes was just lovely to stitch with, and I was actually a little sad when I finished the piece.

As you can see, I did make some modifications to it. I didn't decide until I got the precut fabric home that I wanted to extend the pattern just a little to include our wedding date, so it was a good thing I opted for a 3 inch border instead of my usual 2 inches! Luckily, what I had in mind fit, and I'm going to frame it in a slightly more ornate carved black frame so this piece won't need a mat. I was able to extend the border by adding in extra loops near the hearts in the center of the sides, and I carried the hearts over to fill in the space between the words and our wedding date. All in all, I am very pleased with how this turned out, and my husband loved it as well. Once I get it framed up, we'll hang it in our front hallway along with our collection of family photos.

As for the anniversary itself, we decided to do a weekend trip to Mystic Seaport in Connecticut. DH and I are into lighthouses and things of a nautical nature, so this was a nice trip for us. We drove up on Friday, which was our anniversary, spent Saturday in Mystic and Stonington, then took a long, scenic drive home on Sunday, checking out lighthouses along the coast on our way back. We had wonderful weather, and it was just a very relaxing, peaceful trip.

And if you happen to be in the Mystic area, I'd recommend checking out the following restaurants:
  • Mirch Masala - Groton, CT. It's a converted bar in the Ramada Hotel, but the food is excellent. It's one of the few places I've found meat samosas (which I love), but really, everything we had was just wonderful, and the service was great. It wasn't far from our hotel, which was good because we were both tired of being in the car! (Warning - there is music on the website)
  • Noah's - Stonington, CT. The menu changes based on what's in season and what's fresh, so don't expect everything listed on their website to be available. If scallops are on the menu, I'd recommend ordering them - they're absolutely divine. And the clam chowder? Mostly clam, with a little chowder scoop them up with. Soooo good!
  • Kitchen Little - Mystic, CT. They're not kidding when they say "little". The food is good, but the quarters are QUITE close. We ended up practically sitting with another couple (their table was about 4 inches from ours. But it's right down the road from the Seaport, and the view of the Mystic River is lovely.

28 comments:

CindyMae said...

That is just gorgeous! The modifications that you made worked out perfectly! Happy belated Anniversary! It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Rachel S said...

That looks great! Perfect for two Cowboys fans!

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Kim B said...

It's gorgeous!! I love your changes!

Alberta said...

Jennifer, that is a beautiful gift!

Dani said...

Jennifer ... it turned out wonderful! I love the modifications that you made. This is definitely in my to stitch pile. Sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary weekend. I will have to keep those restaurants in mind for the next time we're in Groton or the surrounding area.

Carolyn NC said...

Beautiful finish - love how you personalized it! Congrats on your anniversary!

Sharon said...

It's beautiful! Happy belated Anniversary!

jennilynn said...

Very pretty. I love the colors.

Mel in Dubai said...

It turned out wonderfully, Jennifer! Belated anniversary congratulations!

zoomcity said...

Lovely! Congratulations. :o)

Don't know why, but I really love those lower case initials.

Olenka's Stitches said...

Happy belated Anniversary!
A gorgeous piece!

Lana said...

That is gorgeous!!!

Brigitte said...

It looks so great. What a perfect gift for the anniversary.

Pike said...

Happy belated anniversary! A beautiful sampler! BTW, I think I have seen some treads dyed by you in a blog. Do you still do dyeing? I just love all overdyed threads and I keep collecting them... eventually I will stitch with them, of course :)

Pirjo from Finland
pirjo.kallioniemi(at)yahoo.com

Von said...

Sounds like you had a very happy anniversary, Jennifer. Congratulations on five years of marriage and may there be many happy years ahead! :)

Cheryl said...

Lovely finish and i like the changes you have made! Im stitching this one at the moment

Kathy A. said...

Belated Happy Anniversary Wishes. The sampler you did is gorgeous and you did a wonderful job of modifying it to suit your needs.
The Fair Square you received from Susan is truly beautiful.
The lighthouse you did for her is FABULOUS. I am a big lighthouse fan too and have never seen that one before. LOVE IT!

Marie-P said...

Happy Anniversary! We just had our 24th yesterday. Mystic is a great place to explore, but I can't say that I miss CT. :D
Your stitched piece is beautiful and I too love the Dinky Dyes.

Gwen said...

Very nice. Congratulations!

Sally said...

Lovely finish Jennifer and a lovely anniversary gift for your DH. Happy Belated Anniversary:)

Carla said...

I wish you a Happy Anniversary! The sampler is lovely!

Yuko said...

Happy 5th anniversary, Jenn!!
We are going to celebrate our 5th next month!!
We are same 5 years old wife, aren't we!

Your stitching is so lovely and am sure your husby will love it!

((hugs))

Yuko

Dianne said...

Gee, just saw this! So sweet. Thanks-I need the inspiration to order one for our 25th anniversary.
We went to Mystic as newlyweds and loved it. Chicken Little sounds familiar.

Dianne said...

I mean 'Kitchen Little'-lol

Michele said...

love your anniversary finish! It is perfect :) sounds like you had a wonderful get away.

Michele B. said...

I just finished this too, and linked to yours from my blog. I love your anniversary touches!

Meari said...

Happy Anniversary to you both, Jenn. The sampler turned out nice. Glad you had a nice anniversary getaway.

Kathy said...

Very nice stitching. Really like that design. Happy Anniversary!!!

Love Mystic, Conn. Had the BEST Salmon salad sandwich there on my only visit there. Don't even know the name of the restaurant. It was awesome, mostly salmon and not much additive.