Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Trying to come up with a pattern

One of my oldest and dearest friends is buying her first place and I want to stitch something for her. I've been wracking my brains for a few days trying to think of something and it's been hard.

She lives in NJ and works in NYC, so she's definitely more of an urban girl than a country girl - ruling out most LHN and CCN type designs, as well as primitives. I looked at a few NY / NJ designs and didn't like them much. I don't want anything cute or cartoony. She was down to visit a few weeks ago, and really like the Moire pattern by Pelin Tezer I was stitching, so I thought maybe I'd look for something along those lines - a little fanicer, a little elegant, but not too foofy.

I finally came up with the idea of stitching her last name in a series of illuminated type letters, similar to the ones used in Isa Vautier's Grand Marquoir, and using some of the other blocks between the letters. I had also considered using M Designs Celtic Alphabet, but thought it would end up being too busy to do a whole name, even if it is just four letters.

I definitely want to do all the stitching in one color (probably a varigated), and do the lettering straight across. I'm not completely sold on the Isa V letters yet, so if anyone has any ideas where I can find something similar, either a freebie or a chart for sale, feel free to share. I looked through some of the alphabets I have, and they're too small to do what I want to do - I'm looking for letters that are a little larger in size, at least 50x50 or so, with a little flair to them.

Ideas???

14 comments:

Kim B said...

I'm no help at all, but I love your ideas!

Siobhan said...

I think the Isa V letters would be great. What about the M Designs Celtic letters? You could do her initials, or just the initial for her last name. Do it in a classic color like red or black. Maybe a Drawn Thread design? That might be too country-ish.

Kathryn said...

Did you check out FONTS. Most fonts can be digitized. I guess I could go for one of the deconstructed fonts like Aftershock Debris, Cracked or something graffiti like. If she is really urban, she might like it and it certainly would be different.

Carolyn NC said...

If she's a city girl, she might be like my daughter. Country/primitive left her cold, but contemporary art-work type designs she loved. I'm not talking huge, either, necessarily. You might try art-stitch.com and see if they have anything.

http://www.art-stitch.com/render.cz?method=index
Good luck!

Pumpkin said...

Uh! You got me :oS Ink Circles, Whispered By The Wind????

Kathy said...

A friend just shared this website with me www.europeancrosstitch.com
There are some gorgeous alphabets there. Good luck on your project.

Rachel S said...

I would go with M Designs. They're pretty elegant.

CindyMae said...

I love you ideas! M Designs would be great!

Claire said...

I don't have any suggestions, although I do like the Isa V letters. I agree that the M Designs might be too much.

I enjoy reading your blog, so I thought you might like to have the Kreativ Blogger Award.

Abi said...

Pasione Ricamo has some free alphabets that look awesome.

Dianne said...

How about the first letter of her last name-I have the 'M' design if your friend's last name is either 'D' or 'C you can surely borrow the chart. I think there is an elegance in just using the one letter-plus people will really study the gorgeous swirls, etc. in this one.
Dianne
www.diadsie.wordpress.com

Dianne said...

I think Von in Washington already did her initial from 'M' designs and it was gorgeous!

Charlene said...

I really like the M designs. Four across with space between, done in the same color way may not be too busy... Hey, your love and thoughtfulness is what's important, so of course she'll LOVE it.

RuthB said...

Ooo, I like the M Designs idea. I'll bet she'd love that.