Friday, March 28, 2014

A Very Grumpy Christmas


Brooke's Books Publishing
Stitched 2 over 2 on 32 ct. unknown green evenweave with recommended colors

Continuing on with our theme of "Pieces I stitched AND finished in 2013", (Which is mostly ornaments since it's a fairly quick process and I don't have to obsess about frames) here's a little something I whipped up for a friend of mine.  She adores Grumpy Cat, and when I discovered him making the rounds on the blogs,  I knew this would be for her.  The original was stitched on a pale blue fabric, but I think the green gives it an extra pop.  This was a super quick stitch, and I got it out in time for her to put it on her tree.

I did substitute a gold metallic thread for the star and some fuzzy white Wisper thread for the trim and pom pom on the hat.  The gold metallic is prettier in person, but I did not get the effect from the Wisper thread that I had hoped for, even using one thread.

I used the same red plaid background fabric that I used for Little Dude's ornament.  It has a little bit of metallic shine to it, and metallic gold threads running through it, so it was a nice compliment to the gold star.  My friend loves anything glittery and shiny, so I went with a sparkly red tinsel-like cording for the trim (from the $1 at Joann's).  It was slightly tricky getting that glued into place without melting the bits of tinsel onto the hot glue gun, but I love how it turned out.

12 comments:

Carol said...

Ha ha--a grumpy cat ornament! Very cute finish, Jenn, and I'm sure your friend loves it :)

Robin said...

What a sweet gift for you friend! Grumpy Cat makes me grin each time I see him out in blog land.

Enjoy your weekend!

Robin in Virginia

Vickie said...

Made me smile. I am sure your friend will love it. Excellent finishing.

Brigitte said...

Oh, what a grumpy looking cat. He seems to be very unhappy, lol.

Von said...

That look expresses the feelings I sometimes have about the holidays, lol!

Belinda said...

He's grumpy but cute at the same time!

Blu said...

What a hilarious design! He looks adorable.

♥ Nia said...

Fun design :D congrats on your finish!

Shebafudge said...

I love this cat!! So cute in a grouchy sort of way...lol

Meari said...

So funny and cute! Congrats on your finish.

Michele said...

Love Grumpy .. I need to stitch him a couple of times :)

valerie said...

OMG, love it! I'll need to keep an eye out for it. I'm sure your friend loved it!