Monday, August 22, 2011

What I did this weekend...

This past weekend, my beautiful cousin Kerri was married in our hometown, and I was deeply honored to be part of her day as a bridesmaid. When I first started dating her cousin (who is now my husband), she was just a little girl, only 10 years old and this weekend, she was a lovely bride.

I will never forget the first time I met her and the rest of the extended family. It was at a family dinner, and as she and her parents were getting ready to leave, she walked up to me, gave me a HUGE hug and said, "When you marry my cousin, I am going to be a bridesmaid." At that point, I wasn't even thinking marriage, but I said, "You got it!" and hugged her back. I guess she was pretty perceptive, because even though it took 12 years, she walked down the aisle as a bridesmaid on the day I married her cousin.

When she got engaged herself, she called me at almost midnight, soon after it happened. I had no idea why she was calling so late, and I thought something had happened. When she yelled, "I AM GETTING MARRIED!" into the phone, I was so incredibly happy for her and just thrilled when she asked me to be a bridesmaid. Soon thereafter, I was able to call her and tell her about a little project WE were working on for her wedding - but had to wait a few weeks to let her know if it would be a ring bearer or a flower girl. More happy screaming and tears followed, as did the ringbearer.


I am not much for sharing photos of myself because I *do not* take a good picture. I just don't. But when I saw this posted by a very good friend of mine, I was so thrilled. It's such a beautiful picture and it's definitely going up on our Family wall. This is outside the church, just after the ceremony, and yes, this is the ring bearer in question. He's not quite two yet, so it was a little touch and go to get him to cooperate, but I have to say I was more than a little choked up when I saw him. My little baby isn't a baby, but he's the absolute light of my life (along with his dad).

The wedding was just perfect, the weather was awesome, and we were able to welcome Nick's favorite cousin to the family (Nick just adores Kerri's new husband). My wish for them is a long and happy marriage filled with love and togetherness. There will be good days and bad, but together, they can do anything.

7 comments:

Shebafudge said...

Awww you have brought tears to my eyes. That is a beautiful photo of you and your little lad. Congratulations to the happy couple and thank you for such a lovely story.

LindataxPA said...

Jennifer - What a wonderful celebration for the entire family. Everyone looks pretty/handsome and I'm sure you all had a great day. Blessings to the happy couple.

Linda B

Lynn said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. I love the one of you and Nick! He's a handsome little fella indeed and Mom looks pretty spiffy too!
It looked like a beautiful wedding. Many congrats to the happy couple!

Carolien said...

What a lovely story and what a lovely pictures!

Bye & hugs, Carolien

Miss Quoted said...

Lovely pic ... and I love the flowers and the story ...

Carol said...

I always cry at weddings and now I'm even tearing up reading about your cousins!! What a special day for all--and that photo of you and your little Nick is precious :)

diadsie said...

That was definitely a special day. I also adore the photo of you and Nick. : ) It must be so nice to have a special cousin in your life too.
Dianne