Monday, March 21, 2011

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day...

Or rather, my lovely mother in law does.

My Sunshine by La D Da
Stitched over 2 on 32 ct. Lakeside Vintage Light Examplar
with Crescent Colors Black Coffee, Manor Red, Queen Bee and Pewter

Last year, I saw this design floating around the blogosphere and knew immediately that it was something we had to do for my mother-in-law. I remember my grandfather singing this song for me when I was very young, but it's a song my husband's mom sings to her three grandchildren all the time. This was perfect for her, and my husband stitched it for her for a Christmas gift. (Yes, I am just now getting around to posting a photo)

My job was to figure out how to frame it. Sometimes when I see a pattern, I have an instant vision of how to display it and this was one of those instances. I lucked out - stitched on 32 ct. fabric, this design fits perfectly into a pre-made 8x10 frame. However, finding an 8x10 frame with two matching smaller frames that we liked *and* that worked with the design proved to be a challenge. I hunted through several stores to find something that worked - not an easy task when your constant companion is an active 13 month old boy! He's a good kid, but he only has so much patience, and there's only so much room in the picture frame aisle. You need eyes in the back of your head to keep on a curious little one so he's not grabbing things off the shelf!

But we did manage to stumble across a frame at Bed Bath & Beyond, and lo and behold, there were matching 4x6 frames as well. Not only did they work with the design, but they were perfect for my ILs house. Score!

I ordered up prints of our son and his two cousins. The original plan was to do four total smaller frames - one for each of the three grandchildren and an extra one for any additional grandchild, but the 8x10 frame ended up looking much better with just the two frames, so we decided to put our son on one side and my BIL's children on the other. If any additional grandchildren enter the picture, it's easy enough to change out the photos.

The gift was a HUGE hit with my in-laws, especially my MIL, who cried. (good tears, not bad ones) She was so touched that we found a pattern for the song, and she absolutely loved the framing idea. The set now hangs at the top of their stairs so they can see it every day.

15 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Sweet! I see your husband managed to follow the pattern as written. If you look at mine closely, you can see the zigzag border doesn't meet. But I adapted.

staci said...

A beautiful and thoughtful finish Jennifer! I can see why this was a hit with your in-laws :)

Lesleyanne said...

An absolutely gorgeous gift. I can see why your in-laws were so thrilled.

Kathy A. said...

Wonderful, thoughtful gift!

Lee said...

Brilliant! No wonder she cried. I would have, too.

Catherine said...

Awesome gift!!

C in DC said...

What a special gift. And now she has somewhere to display all the photos you'll give her over the years. :-)

valerie said...

Wonderful finish and gift for your in laws!

mainely stitching said...

Wow, that's so beautiful! I can't imagine giving my ILs something that would actually make them cry happy tears, LOL!

Carol said...

What a lovely finish and a truly touching gift for your in-laws! I would have cried, too!

Sally said...

What a beautiful finish! You framed it perfectly.

Dianne said...

This was such a perfect gift. I'm singing the song now. Items look better in odd numbers, so the three pieces looks very nice the way they are displayed.

Jenna said...

What a thoughtful gift and I'm glad that it was such a big hit. Doesn't that feel good when you're able to find such a perfect gift for someone and make it with your own hands? Or your hubby's hands, in this case. Well done, both of you!

Blu said...

What a thoughtful gift! I'm not at all surprised she loved it.

Lynn said...

This is such a touching gift Jennifer. It's no wonder that she was crying. I would too, it's absolutely wonderful!