Friday, March 25, 2011

In honor of St. Patrick's Day

Stitched on 28 ct. Antique White
Crescent Colors Erin Go Emerald and Four Leaf Clover, GAST Pine
Mill Hill Petite Glass Beads in Bottle Green (45270) and Ice (42010)
Charm included with Chart

I've had this chart in kitted up and in my stash for over a year now, maybe two. I fell in love with them when I saw them, but somehow never got around to stitching them. I decided I was going to stitch something Irish in honor of St. Patrick's Day this year, and I did finish up this one before the holiday. Yay me! I'm currently working on what I dubbed the companion piece, A Celtic Challenge, also by The Sweetheart Tree. It will definitely be done before NEXT St. Patrick's Day.

Conveniently, this is also an excellent answer to Lee's Stitching Bloggers Question of the Month:
Do you have a favorite Irish or Celtic stitched piece? If you don't, what about a piece that represents your heritage? Or maybe a family tree style sampler? Think about it, then tell us the story of your piece and show us your photos, if you have them.
As I've mentioned, I'm 1/2 Irish and may have had an agenda in mind when Lee and I were discussing the SBQ via email. I have several Celtic pieces in my stash, but this is one of the first I've actually finished. The big one that's sitting in my stash is Butternut Road's Celtic Banner. I have the fabric and the specialty threads for it, but have yet to kit up the rest of it. I need to get on that - it was a birthday gift two years ago from my in-laws and there's not a stitch in it....

But back to the piece I DID finish - this is me being all artsy with my macro setting:


Ohhhhhh.... Ahhhh..... I am so fancy. I do like this picture because you can see the silvery color of the Ice beads. The original design called for white beads, but I thought I'd gussy it up a little and go with a silvery color, pick up on the silver of the charm in the middle.

And while I was being all rebellious with the bead changes, I decided to get super crazy and change the COLORS of the floss too. The original design called for DMC threads, but that didn't fit in with my plan to be super clever and use threads with names that coordinated with the Celtic / Irish theme (yeah, sometimes I REALLY overthink things) , hence the Erin Go Emerald and Four Leaf Clover. The Pine has no specific meaning, it just looked really nice with the other two greens.

If you are wondering about my conversion, I used the Emerald for DMC 500, the Pine for DMC 501 and the Clover for DMC 503, or basically how they lined up from light to dark in both color palettes.

Overall, I LOVE how it came out, and am excited to finish up Celtic Challenge. This piece was a super easy stitch, but I noticed on the Celtic Challenge chart that there are some tricky areas where you really have to pay attention to where you're stitching (and stitch some parts over 1 so things line up). That one will take me a little longer to finish, but the plan is to finish finish both pieces as little pillows for our guest room. I don't want to go all "theme-y" with it, but the walls are currently painted green and I have black and white bedding in there, so I want to display some of my Irish pieces (I have a couple framed Irish themed prints / sayings). Once I finish these up as pillows, I think they'll be perfect for hanging off the closet doorknobs - dress them up a little. But until then, it's back to the FUFO drawer for this piece.

13 comments:

Sally said...

Oh wow what a gorgeous finish Jennifer:)

valerie said...

Cute finish! Would look lovely as a doorknob pillow!

Kathy A. said...

That is beautiful girl. I am a big fat on ST too and have many, many of their patterns in my stash. Makes me want to haul one out and stitch it!
Oh, do take out Celtic Banner - I did it a few years back and it is such a wonderful piece to stitch.

Lesleyanne said...

A lovely finish.

Erica said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!
You will appreciae it even more next St. Patrick's day!

Carol said...

What a beautiful finish, Jennifer! I think those little Sweetheart Tree charts are very deceiving--they look so simple, but there is always more work involved than you would first think. Your colors and beads work wonderfully together!

zoomcity said...

So pretty! I love it.

Blu said...

What a pretty finish! SHT designs always look so delicate and pretty.

Lynn said...

Very pretty and sooo delicate! I love what you've done with the conversions and those silver beads look great. I think you made a good choice there.

Dianne said...

How pretty! Nice conversion too. You are on your way to making more Celtic pieces.

Aussie Stitcher said...

It turned out lovely. I have Celtic Banner as a wip (I refuse to call anything a UFO LOL). I started mine at the bottom and I am up to the back stitched pattern, I think that it is about half-way.

debijeanm said...

So glad I came by today. I love everything about this post. Love the chart and how you've finished it, love the narrative, love the artsy with the macro lens photo. First time in a while a blog post has made my fingers itch for a needle. Thank you for that!

Hope all is fabulous for you. Happy Easter!

Patty said...

Love, love, love this!